• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 swallow questions (1 Viewer)

Old Wren

I’m a little confused by all the different forums and so hope I have picked the right one. I have two questions I wonder if anyone can answer for me:

Where do swallows roost before they start nesting?

How close or far apart from each other will swallows nest if given suitable sites?

For the last three years a pair of swallows have made their nest in my front porch. They raised only one family in each of the first two years, but last year, to my delight, they raised two families. They do make rather a mess, but I put a plastic sheet on the ground and that catches the worst of it. I love waking to hear the tremendous chattering that goes on when they are at home.

On last Sunday 25th April, ‘my’ swallows arrived back, announcing their arrival with loads of twittering, flying in and out of the porch in what appeared to be great excitement. It would be wonderful to have more swallows nesting but don’t have anywhere other than the porch, which I fear may be too small an area for more than the one nest.

I think you may find that Swallows will find their own nesting site,and they do return year after year.Unlike other species,one cannot provide nesting boxes etc,so do enjoy the pr who do return to your porch each year.
Also ,welcome to BF

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back