• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent advice needed PLEASE - uk (1 Viewer)

Hi, I've had a robin nesting outside my back door in a flower pot and her eggs hatched Monday.

I've come in tonight to find the four babies on their own, no mother to be seen. It's 4 degrees here tonight!!

Is this normal? Is there anything I can/should do? Or is this a sad case of let nature take over and wait to see if they are dead in the morning :-C

Sadly, I don't think there is anything you can do.

If something has happened to the parents (most likely), you won't be able to raise the chicks. If they are still around, they would desert if you did anything.

Sadly, I don't think there is anything you can do.

If something has happened to the parents (most likely), you won't be able to raise the chicks. If they are still around, they would desert if you did anything.

thanks for replying, I feel useless for not being able to help.
So is hand rearing wild birds unsucessful, even by wildlife rescue centers?

Wild birds are raisable from my own personal experience. Of course you should attempt to find parent first. Mother may have left because you arrived and may have gone back to nest once you went back inside. I have raised baby blue jays on moistened catfood. To date I have been successful 3 out of 3 times. I am currently hand feeding my 4th. I live in the woods and have 5 cats. They surrounded the baby, but mother bird kept attacking my cats til I rescued baby. I feed often, every hour as much as it will open its mouth for. my hands are washed, and i feed with my finger . He is doing quite well, and if I miss a feeding he lets me know by squawking. He is under a lamp to keep warm. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back