• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil: Is this a Green Palm Snake (Philodryas viridissimus)? (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
6 August 2015. Rio Cristalino, Mato Grosso, Brazil. Our guide tentatively identified this as a Green Palm Snake (Philodryas viridissimus). However the yellow throat does not seem to match online photos of that species very well. Any help with this ID would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• GreenPalmSnakeDSCN0101.jpg
    GreenPalmSnakeDSCN0101.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 61
  • GreenPalmSnakeDSCN0110.jpg
    GreenPalmSnakeDSCN0110.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 92
Philodryas olfersi, distinguishing the species can be tricky without the specimen to hand, for P. olfersi the dorsal scales are smooth, with usually fewer than 120 subcaudals.

AFAIK P. viridissima is unrecorded from Matto Grosso, Matto Grosso do Sul, and Goias.

Best wishes,

don't know if it's so simple...?

It's always a puzzle from a photo.

In some cobra-verde - Philodryas olfersi - any head markings can be virtually undiscernable, and as with Chironius the ground colour has some variation.

Bites in some cases from P. olfersi have required several weeks of careful wound management, handle with care !

Good quality, close up photos are great, and a winner when allied with location and pholidosis.

Best wishes,

Thanks. I was happy with P. olfersii but I just received a comment on another forum suggesting that this is actually Drymoluber dichrous. Now I'm not sure what to think. Help!

Thanks. I was happy with P. olfersii but I just received a comment on another forum suggesting that this is actually Drymoluber dichrous. Now I'm not sure what to think. Help!

Ask your correspondent to explain why.

Not aware of any records in Pantanal!

Sounds like an 'I think it is ... because it looks like one' id.

Best wishes,

With it now, thanks.

D. brazili is recently reported in open habitats, Mato Grosso, D. dichrous extralimital. Really only distinguishable by counting the scale rows, and the presence / absense of apical pits.

The arrangement of the supralabials on yours looks atypical for Drymoluber, although the grass stalk is just in an awkward position.

This might help : http://www.checklist.org.br/getpdf?NGD144-11.

Without the specimen I'm happy to stick with P. olfersii and just as happy to be shown otherwise and why.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Thanks again. I asked our guide about D. dichrous, and he said "That looks much more like our snake! Philodryas has a much more muscular (glandular) head." I have not yet heard back from the person making the suggestion originally. Here is a closer photo taken by the guide. Larger version here. Maybe it will help.

Birds are so much easier!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back