• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me. Pic taken Cairngorms (1 Viewer)

Hi
I am Jimmy from central Scotland
could you tell me please what the attached is

Red legged partridge ā€“ cannon fodder for the shooting estates... grouse have not done well, so probably replaced with additional target practice with these red-legged... i.e 'farmed for shooting'. Wont be a 'naturalised bird'.
g

hi Jimmy,

Others have ID'd your bird. Unusual sighting for the Cairngorms. Notice you're local, where is your patch?

I'm assuming that in this context 'Cairngorms' is referring to the wider area of the National Park (which includes significant areas of farmland along the valleys of the Dee, Don and Spey) rather than the high tops of the mountains themselves. RL Partridges are not uncommon in these farmland areas (more so than Grey Partridges), although they tend to be found in localised clusters around the estates where they are released in large numbers.

There is a distribution map for RL Partridge in NE Scotland (including the eastern Cairngorms) on this page. The boundary of the Cairngorms National Park is the blue line.

Capercaillie 71

'this page.'

Great Page and great work being done. Congrats to everyone involved.
g

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back