• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Archie's poo list (1 Viewer)

Archie Opteryx

I have heard mention of those that keep a list of birds that they have seen 'dropping their load' if you will and often thought that I might keep one for my own amusement but I never did.

But then, recently, I went to see the Alpine Swift at Beeston Bump and when watching it, I saw it do it's toilet. I vocalised this (with some authority, as if it was massively important) and then had to explain to dogwalkers why this was significant. They looked at me strangely. I'm used to that. But that moment was a kind of epiphany... It was then that I realised that I had no choice but to keep my own coprorinithilogical tabulation.

I have decided that for the list to retain clarity and validity that there will be no retrospective additions. The Alpine Swift was the start. Poo zero if you will.

So here it is, in all is cloacal glory!

1. Alpine Swift
2. Wren
3. Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Well, it's a start!

I will update as and when there are additions* and might even produce photographic evidence - isn't this exciting!!

Feel free to share your own bottom based bird list too.

Remember - if you are watching birds somewhere and you see a large man shout out 'I saw it poo', and then scribble in a book, it might well be me.

[*provided the whole thread doesn't get pulled o:D]

Do you put an asterisk on the list if you were hit by the load?

Only one I think I have ever been hit by was a Long Tailed Tit - thankfully the load was as dainty as the bird :-O

Only one I think I have ever been hit by was a Long Tailed Tit - thankfully the load was as dainty as the bird :-O

I think I shall!

I've twice been deposited on by Swifts. But I didn't see them unload so they wouldn't count.

Been scrutinising Great Tits in the garden this evening. Their movements remained beyond my ken.

I keep a "doings" list. My best are Ostrich in Nairobi (imagine about a gallon of vanilla ice cream on a hot day being poured away) and a very impressive Snowy Owl ejecta in Iceland.

As for photographic evidence then I captured the image below at my summerhouse last weekend. My veranda is carpet-bombed by Redwings and I'd just cleaned the table when this landed right next to me. But the culprit wasn't a Redwing, and I wouldn't have believed what it was unless I'd seen it drop its payload. So your starter for 10 is which bird does this belong to?

Attachments

• Doings.jpg
    Doings.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 183

My Grandmother claimed that if a bird pooped on you it meant you would have good luck.

Depending on what kind of bird your luck couldn't get any worse, think Osprey or Great Blue Heron. :eek!:

Mike

Last edited:
Can't imagine either of these were too popular afterwards. ;)

Attachments

• 7O3K0844.jpg
    7O3K0844.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 221
6. Swallow

The aftershock, if you will, attached for your edification.

Attachments

• DSCF3228 (2) swallow poo (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF3228 (2) swallow poo (1024x768).jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 183
I have a daily duty patrolling a school yard at lunchtime. A host of Herring Gulls, Black Headed Gulls and Crows always gather excitedly awaiting the bell that signals the end of lunchtime and the beginning of their free junk-food-scavenging-fest. During the last few years, as the more adventurous entrepeneurs circle, I have been pooped on on several occasions. Whilst I suspect all three of these species have used me for target practice, I am not skilled enough at recognising faeces to know which of them is the culprit at any given time.

Saw the SBD relieve itself on Saturday and thought of you (as well as a bit of schoolboy humour with the initials)!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back