• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Diego, CA (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Various leftovers from multiple locations with reach of public transportation in San Diego, beginning of August. One bird better than the other :)

Attachments

• aMG_1945.JPG
    aMG_1945.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 58
  • aMG_3496.JPG
    aMG_3496.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 59
  • aMG_3932.JPG
    aMG_3932.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 47
  • aMG_3976.JPG
    aMG_3976.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 62
  • aMG_4260.JPG
    aMG_4260.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 61
#1. California Towhee
#2. Common Yellowthroat?
#3. California Towhee
#4. Blue Grosbeak
#5. Lazuli Bunting? I think Indigo would be rare in San Diego, not sure how to rule it out in this case.

Thanks! I have seen so many Towhees during my week in San Diego, yet they continue to surprise me :) The Blue Grosbeak we suspected, the Bunting would really seem to look more like Lazuli, I just didn't consider that as an option for some reason.

Agree with Lazuli Bunting for the last one, it is not as rare as indigo bunting but it is pretty scarce in San Diego county, thats a pretty good bird to find.

"The Lazuli Bunting is common in San Diego County as both a breeding bird and a migrant, but it is absent in winter." Source: San Diego County Bird Atlas.
Peter

"The Lazuli Bunting is common in San Diego County as both a breeding bird and a migrant, but it is absent in winter." Source: San Diego County Bird Atlas.
Peter

I was not saying it is rare. In my experience it was scarce, I lived there for only 6 months but I only saw 1 despite birding just about everyday. It is certainly not common at the Fort Rosecrans Cemetery which is the best migrant trap in the county.

I do see a fair number of ebird reports of them, maybe they are common in specific places/habitats?

My experience is they're more a dry county bird. I had a few this past labor day weekend at San Elijo lagoon and have seen many out at Kitchen Creek Rd.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back