• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

suggestions for a sub $300 10x42? (1 Viewer)

JasIA

Looking for 10x42's for general use. I've been doing quite a bit of looking around and have loosely narrowed it down to the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ($200), Carson 3D ED ($250), and Vanguard Spirit ED ($225). There are so many options in this category and at this price. I kind of assume they're all going to be about the same but if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Looking for 10x42's for general use. I've been doing quite a bit of looking around and have loosely narrowed it down to the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ($200), Carson 3D ED ($250), and Vanguard Spirit ED ($225). There are so many options in this category and at this price. I kind of assume they're all going to be about the same but if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Many are the same, differing only in name, cosmetics, and price.

Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-10x4...631&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=vanguard+edII+10x42

I try to keep suggestions within a person's stated budget, but in your case I am not going to do that. If you can beg, borrow, or steal (ok - don't steal) an extra $39.99, you can get a demo Zen-Ray ED3 from cameralandny.com. It will blow away anthing else in the sub-$300 range, and is in fact one of the better buys in anything under about $750 or so.

If you just can't swing that, then look at the Vanguard Endeavor ED which can occasionally still be found in your price range. The Bushnell UL isn't bad, but the Endeavor has a better construction and better accessories. The Endeavor has a sharp and bright view, but also does have some CA too.

p.s. The Vortex Diamondback has a lot of admirers, and can be found in your price range. I'm not a big fan, especially since you can get the light-years better ED3 for not too much more, but they might be worth your time to investigate, as would be the Nikon M-series. But really - squeeze out an extra forty bucks and get the ED3......

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Phil, I'm going to do a little reading on the ED3, they hadn't come across my radar but if they're as good as you say the $40 isn't a big deal. Nice wide FOV on those too. I tend to order my two finalists and return one after a week or two of comparing. I see the Vanguard Endeavors are sub $200 on Amazon.

Thanks for the replies. Phil, I'm going to do a little reading on the ED3, they hadn't come across my radar but if they're as good as you say the $40 isn't a big deal. Nice wide FOV on those too. I tend to order my two finalists and return one after a week or two of comparing. I see the Vanguard Endeavors are sub $200 on Amazon.

Id recommend that you give the Endeavors a try. IMO you cant find a better pair for the money in terms of optics, build quality, warranty, and accessories.

The Vanguard Endeavor ED scored quite a bit higher on resolution than the Zen Ray ED3 in this comparison if you believe any of these binocular tests. I had a lot of mid-priced binoculars and I remember the Endeavor really standing out in resolution and also the build quality and QA was better than any of the Zen Rays I owned which were quite a few.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2011midpricebins/chart_2011.html

Last edited:

I thought that the ED3's view was a bit brighter than the Endeavor's, and the ED3's focus wheel had a more reasonable speed (the Endeavor's wheel is much faster than what I prefer) and less backlash. One area where the Endeavor exceeds is the case and neckstrap. The neckstrap is one of the best you will find in the low-priced arena.

Although I would much prefer the ED3 over the Endeavor ED, I would also say that if you can get an Endeavor for under $200, that it would be the better overall deal.

The 10x42 Aculon has excellent contrast, and is sharp for over half the fov,
but compared to the more pricey binoculars mentioned here, the field wouldn't be
sharp for big a portion of the field. They're talking about super field performance,
albeit at 2-3x the price. That is a breakthrough, though...instead of maybe 5-10x
the price 10 yrs ago.

The Vanguard Spirit ED 10x42 is $219 from Eagle Optics, and eligible for a $60 rebate, bringing the price down to $159 with free shipping. However they are out of stock right now. Not surprising.

My wife just told me she would like some binos for looking at her bird feeders. I'm thinking the 8x36 Spirit ED from Amazon for $199 minus the $55 rebate would be great for her.

That ought to be impressive! 7x would be better around the yard, but
it's quite rare these days in the mid-premium price range.

Value binos

PhilR got it right w/his first choice----Zen Ray ED 3 Demo. Nothing in this price range comes close. I am surprised to hear of those touting Vanguard Endeavors (at least the non II models). Same w/the Bushnell Ultra ED's. I am equally surprised that no one has mentioned the Zeiss Terra but I would opt for a Bresser Everest----very nice!

Act fast! Only 19 hours left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-En...56?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c51b58828

I had the bresser 8x42, not a bad binocular,but the small(noticeable)sweet spot was a break dealer..also,and although it was reasonably sharp and well controlled in the CA arena,I dont think it was close to the Zen Ray models i have owned.
I think the 10x Zen Ray EDIII would be my choice here..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back