• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins without veiling glare (1 Viewer)

oetzi

I'd like to see another thread on bins that do not exhibit veiling flare or at least do a very good job handling it except under the most extreme conditions.
<B>

Here we go;)

The Minox Bl 8x33 HD. The very best I ever handled in terms of veiling glare. In one situation - the low sun directly outside/above the FOV - this bin even beat the Habicht 8x30 in showing details. Simply by not showing veiling glare.

Attachments

• P4024143_jiw-1.jpg
    P4024143_jiw-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 331
Meopta Meostar. The three samples which I had used (8x42, 8x32, 10x50) have been very resistant against any diffuse stray light. The Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt was also an example for an excellent level of stray light suppression.

Cheers,
Holger

For me the best in that regard has to be the little bushnell elite custom 7x26..very high contrast in all light situations...Pentax ED 8x32 is good too..I have a Kenko 8x32( ,forgot the model,i think is a clone of the sightron BS II),that look a lot that this Minox you are talking about ,and does also pretty good controlling glare.....now,,one thing a binocular can not do is to show an image without glare,IF There is glare in the atmosphere..sometimes ,because of the angle of the sun, the geography or the air conditions and quality ,light disperses in weird ways..in those conditions at 1x the view could seem more or less fine for observation,but when looking through bins or scope we notice glare or fog,and we worry our optics are not very contrasty..What we are actually doing is magnifying less than perfect light conditions.This is good to remember to avoid constant frustration ..and then is light reflections from the eyepiece!,!!
Zeiss Fl controls glare from the objetive real nicely but its flushed ocular lens is prone to mirror...

Nikon EDG II 7x42. Not sure about the EDG 8x42, currently my favourite 42mm bino; I've never noticed glare, but haven't tried to produce it either.

The two Nikons SE and EII are pretty good at controlling VG. The bigger the exit pupil of the binocular the better it is going to be at controlling VG. The glare is there but you don't see it because it doesn't hit your cornea.Try an 8x56 or 7x50 binocular and you will see hardly any veiling glare at all.

Last edited:
Okay-

Somebody throw a newbie a bone-

I need someone to explain "veiling glare". To me it SOUNDS like what I would simply call "glare" but maybe it's not so simple, since someone needed to distinguish it with the "veiling" term(?)

Meopta Meostar. The three samples which I had used (8x42, 8x32, 10x50) have been very resistant against any diffuse stray light. The Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt was also an example for an excellent level of stray light suppression.

Cheers,
Holger

Hello Holger,

I found that the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 had excellent control of veiling glare. It was very impressive in a rather economical binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Here is some info from the photographer point of view:

http://www.imatest.com/docs/veilingglare/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

When using binoculars you may get light in the optical system backwards, via the ocular, maybe more chance for this when using spectacles since a longer distance between eye and ocular lens.

Hello Binoseeker,

I am well aware of problems with reflections off the the oculars, as I wear specs. These usually reveal themselves as light spots. Cupping one's hands around the eyepieces usually reduce or eliminate them. Sometimes, veiling glare can be reduced by shading the objectives with one's hand, like using a photographic lens shade.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Thanks, oetzi.

Vixen 7x50 Foresta
Nikon 8x32 SE
Nikon 10x42 SE
Swarovski 10x42 SLC-HD

Here's a surprise... Nikon 8x30 M7. Not as good as the others, but not too shabby, much better than the defective samples with the unpainted rings in the objective housings, which were definitely the culprits.

<B>

Just about any Fujinon from 1948-2015 is excellent.
The Vortex Diamondback ... from 2013 onwards.
All Bushnell Customs, all years.
Meopta Meopros.
The Wuest M20s are good. The whole Wuest H-19 series is extremely good.
Too many old 7x50s to mention.
Almost all old 7x35s.

It's a problem mainly in many roof models ~2005-2012.
Short barrels, multicoating, neglected baffle design.
The Later Action Series Nikons are Porro but have the glare,
esp. the 8x42. The AEs do not have any.
The Aculons have very little.

If you really like a pair otherwise, a little hood will clean the veiling up.

Last edited:
:cat:
Okay-

Somebody throw a newbie a bone-

I need someone to explain "veiling glare". To me it SOUNDS like what I would simply call "glare" but maybe it's not so simple, since someone needed to distinguish it with the "veiling" term(?)

David:

Google "TYPES of glare." You will probably find more than you WANT to know, but much you really should. When it comes to glare, one size does not fit all. Unless you're a lens designer or optical nitnoid, most of the verbiage bandied about is pretty academic--that word has some interesting definitions, too. Even so, knowing the difference can raise your knowledge of optical boogie men a notch or two. That, will take it out of the academic realm for you.:cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
We actually have a few pictures of the glare emphasized above.
That brings it down to earth.

You're right though...there are different types.
One of the strongest is the actual glare on the objects themselves.
It's that 'plasticy' look on edges in the sun. Shows up strongly if
the optics don't have any UV/Violet filtering.

We actually have a few pictures of the glare emphasized above.
That brings it down to earth.

You're right though...there are different types.
One of the strongest is the actual glare on the objects themselves.
It's that 'plasticy' look on edges in the sun. Shows up strongly if
the optics don't have any UV/Violet filtering.
Here is a device for testing glare.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20120092620

Ah....an LED, 10 to 25 degrees off-axis...cool!

I use a torchiere lamp halfway down a 36ft range,
15-30 degrees off-axis. The broad light in my
case generally tests contrast trouble from dust or
poor baffling. Their rig would find sun-glare/'splash' much better,
but it would also light up general contrast issues.

Ah....an LED, 10 to 25 degrees off-axis...cool!

I use a torchiere lamp halfway down a 36ft range,
15-30 degrees off-axis. The broad light in my
case generally tests contrast trouble from dust or
poor baffling. Their rig would find sun-glare/'splash' much better,
but it would also light up general contrast issues.
Interesting concept though.

A rig like that in the patent would allow you proper comparison,
and also guide cleaning and hood-making.

I suspect the BL 8x33 has a nice deep inset for the objective.
They didn't go out of their way to make it short.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back