• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner 10x50 with better optics? (1 Viewer)

buff

which steiner 10x50 has better optics? Police or Military/Marine?
I'm looking for individual focusing porro prism that works well with eyeglasses.
I just purchased my first Steiner a month ago, Commander XP 7x30 and optics are superb.

so Police or M/M?

Thank you.

which steiner 10x50 has better optics? Police or Military/Marine?
I'm looking for individual focusing porro prism that works well with eyeglasses.
I just purchased my first Steiner a month ago, Commander XP 7x30 and optics are superb.

so Police or M/M?

Thank you.

SOME of the German Steiners are good. Many are rebranded profit streams from Asia. Many Americans and Canadians would enjoy looking through a rusty pipe if it had a German name on the side. Choose judiciously.

Also, in shorter focal length systems (most Steiners), aberrations are harder to control, and the stubby (but popular) Steiners are guilty; the steep curvature on the objective is a give away.

Does Steiner have some GREAT instruments? Yep. Their original "Navigator" was one such--German or Asian. Performance is in the instrument, not the point of origin. Let a name take you in a DIRECTION. But, buy the INSTRUMENT.

The original Navigator was not one of the typical Steiners (a full sized conventional Porro), thus it didn't look enough like a Steiner to be popular . . . and was discontinued.

Just a thought. :cat:

Bill

I had the Navigator 7x30 (not the Pro model) and the optics were ok. Eye relief was good.
I then had the Marine only model (not Military/Marine) 8x30 and they were ok also. Eye relief was also good.
I read that the Commander 7x30 were better optically and I saw B&H had them for about $400 before discontinue.
If one lives out West or open spaces these binos should serve well.
Steiner used to have some 6x models but no longer. I wish they did as 6x is Rock solid steady.

Last edited:
I had the Navigator 7x30 (not the Pro model) and the optics were ok. Eye relief was good.
I then had the Marine only model (not Military/Marine) 8x30 and they were ok also. Eye relief was also good.
I read that the Commander 7x30 were better optically and I saw B&H had them for about $400 before discontinue.
If one lives out West or open spaces these binos should serve well.
Steiner used to have some 6x models but no longer. I wish they did as 6x is Rock solid steady.

The last two iterations of the Navigator are not even similar to the one I was speaking of. Good binoculars rarely excite me; this one did. But, not LOOKING Steiner enough, it just went away.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back