• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

clueless (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
This is the best shot I got of this gull? flying overhead this a.m.

Attachments

• DSC_0002a.jpg
    DSC_0002a.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 211
JANJ said:
Hi KC!

California Gull.

JanJ

A rare gull (for the location) called on a single non high-resolution photo, with no qualifications or disclaimers???

|8.| |8.| |8.| |8.| |8.|

Who are you and what did you do with JanJ???

More seriously, I'll take a closer look, but how did you so definitively eliminate 2nd winter smithsonianus?

I would resist the temptation to be popping any champagne corks just yet... ;)

Dark 2nd winter herring gulls can sometimes do a surprisingly good imitation of 1st winter California Gulls. And that is a stout bird...

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, but my vote is for Herring Gull. The question is the age, the bill looks like a 2nd winter, but could be an advanced first winter. The axillaries are a bit light, but not convincingly so. For a February bird I'm going to lean for advanced first winter given that there are too few pixels to judge the bill with any confidence, but it could be a 2nd winter that's a bit retarded in the plumage department.

The inner primaries are quite pale on the left wing, and that in combination with the stout body and the apparent solidity of the dark breast and belly plumage would have me thinking Herring even if this had been taken on the other coast.

No- Thayeri, you are right with American Herring of course, I just jumped, and was going to come back, because something with that dark belly for CG at this time of year perhaps. Why not a 1st winter AMHG, not saying that 2nd winter is out of the question, but I wouldn´t judge from here for certain.
JanJ

Hi JanJ, as I indicated above, my lean upon further reflection was 1st winter.

On the other hand, however, the axillaries are distinctly lighter than the adjacent underwing coverts on the right wing even where evenly lit, and in combination with the streak of white along the the upper flanks, I wouldn't be ruling out a slow and dark 2nd winter either. Particularly since other than P9 on the right wing, those primary tips are looking pretty rounded.

Had a look at the p-tips first thing, a bit difficult to be sure if they really where 2nd generation- rounded. It´s not always easy to see the shape of p-tips, it´ll take a sharp image and preferable a right angle: first and second here:

http://tasmania.globat.com/~peregrineprints.com/gulls/pg/Hegu/1/mar13pal.htm

Although a variable character, the 'broad' dark tips to all the inner primaries (to p1), perhaps indicate 1st generation primaries over 2nd, the broadnes I mean.

I will say that some of the primaries do look somehow rounded, most obvious on p 5.

Conclusion: 2cy or 3cy, but smithsonianus it should be.

JanJ

Well, well, there you get for not paying attention! 3:) 8-P :gn: :-C 8-P
Belive it or not, I thought that KC was in California!
So now at first, I get it, I mean the reactions from You both

JanJ :cat:

JanJ, I assumed it was something like that, and I do hope you understood that my attempt at humor in my first post above was based upon my great respect for your skills with gulls.

Happy to help, KC!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back