• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

today's flooding

After a morning of heavy rain and sleet the river Salwarp broke its banks.
The water rose dramatically finally rising by 30 cm in a couple of hours. When I left at 5.50pm it was starting to drop.
pics
1. the rapids
2. the river flowing behind the hide and flooding the field.
3. the east track, where I had to give a piggyback to a geazer, who was wering only trainers, an hour after he had arrived the track had a 30cm channel running over it.
4. where's the islands gone
5. the last bit of pool island in the foreground, with the 'north island, just above water in the background.

Attachments

• .1the waterfallDSCF9858 (2).JPG
    .1the waterfallDSCF9858 (2).JPG
    418 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.behind the hideDSCF9870 (2).JPG
    2.behind the hideDSCF9870 (2).JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 3.the east track from the hideDSCF9868 (2).JPG
    3.the east track from the hideDSCF9868 (2).JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 4.wheres the islands goneDSCF9877 (2).JPG
    4.wheres the islands goneDSCF9877 (2).JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 5, the remains of pool is and north isDSCF9879 (2).JPG
    5, the remains of pool is and north isDSCF9879 (2).JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 150
No work today, for obvious reasons.
Birded totally from the east hide. The wind shifted from the south to the north within an hour or so and the temperature plummeted. The heavy rain enticed the snipe out of hiding and into a feeding frenzy. They were spread along the southern bank all along the north shore of the seasonal pool. They were also all over the southern and 'flat' islands. I counted 95 in the open with at least 20 more on the promontory. At least 2 jack's fed away from their larger cousins on the promontory. This apart, there were no other real happenings.
Species counts Moors:
GCG 4, little grebe, comorant 25, mute swan 2, greylag 10, canadas c120, coot 20, water rail 3, shoveler 12, shelduck 2, teal 15, pochard 20, tufted 25, snipe 115, jack snipe 2, curlew 12, oystercatcher, lapwing 220, BHG 600, herring gull 10, LBBG 5, stock dove 3, fieldfare 120, redwing 30, starling 40, song thrush 4, mistle thrush, redpoll 8, cettis warbler,

At one point the snipe were flushed and swirled around en-masse, not unlike a flock of dunlin on the coast.

Last edited:
The sand martins have been to a fancy dress party!
This little blue tit tried at least eight of these holes for size.

No , what it is Phil, unlike swallows that hide at the bottom of ponds in winter (according to early naturalist), sand martins hide in bird boxes during the same period, the blue tits are just having a look at em.8-P

Last edited:
Common Snipe

Today's count of 115 Snipe at the Moors Pool is the third highest ever at Upton Warren, only bettered by 124 present on the 11th March 1995 and an eye-watering 200 birds on the 28th March 1971. This is a far cry from the mid 2000s when maximum annual peak counts were only in the twenties. i will be walking the Flashes on Sunday as part of the WeBS Count so it will be interesting to what total the two sides of the reserve accumalate.

Attachments

• Snipe max counts.jpg
    Snipe max counts.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Today's highlights on a rather benign day:

MOORS:
Snipe (67)------------------Curlew (11)
Pochard (18)----------------Gadwall (2m+f)
Shoveler (9)----------------Tufted Duck (13)
G C Grebe (3)---------------Cormorant (21)
Peregrine-------------------B H Gull (c120)
Teal (25)-------------------Herring Gull (9 inc resident pair)

FLASHES:
Shelduck (3 pairs)-----------Teal (37)
Coot (23)-------------------Oystercatcher
Snipe (1)-------------------Redpoll (c15)
Mute Swan (2)

SAILING POOL:
Tufted Duck (12)-----------Little Grebe
G C Grebe (5)

Des.

Water level is .64 at the Flashes. Heavy rain. 6 Shelduck.

Des.

An encouraging count for the first half of February. Attached in the average half monthly maxima for Shelduck from the period 2000 to 2103; unsurprisingly numbers increase during the later winter and spring before falling away after May (presumably when the breeding urges have gone)

Attachments

• Shelduck.jpg
    Shelduck.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 61
Andy H phoned me back yesterday. He's going to speak to the staff at the Outdoor Centre tomorrow with regards to access to the Car Park.
I've been driving past regularly in the mornings, recently, and the gates appear to be locked until C7:00am daily (at least during the week). As Spring and the lighter mornings approach, I for one quite often call in at first light on my way to work, to see what migratory waders may have dropped in overnight.

I have just had an e-mail from Colin Raven (WWF Director) stating that he's due to talk to Aztec in March and asking that Members, Wardens and Volunteers tread carefully in the meantime so that future negotiations between the Trust and Aztec are not jeopardised.

Andy H phoned me back yesterday. He's going to speak to the staff at the Outdoor Centre tomorrow with regards to access to the Car Park.
I've been driving past regularly in the mornings, recently, and the gates appear to be locked until C7:00am daily (at least during the week). As Spring and the lighter mornings approach, I for one quite often call in at first light on my way to work, to see what migratory waders may have dropped in overnight.

Also relevant for roost watchers - does anyone know what time they are locked at night?

Margaret

Managed to grab an afternoon session in the East Hide this afternoon.

Highlights :- 1 Jack Snipe, Oystercatcher, 40 Fieldfare over as I walked past Lifestyles field and a Water Rail. Other than these very quiet.

Plenty of people in car park considering no superstars about.

Last edited:
I have just had an e-mail from Colin Raven (WWF Director) stating that he's due to talk to Aztec in March and asking that Members, Wardens and Volunteers tread carefully in the meantime so that future negotiations between the Trust and Aztec are not jeopardised.

Not wishing to pre-judge the issue of access I am not sure this post bodes well. What does tread carefully mean ? Is it individual's behaviour,car parking management or access. I am sure I am not alone in thinking that we need to know what the access arrangements are currently with WCC and if this is embodied in a legal access agreement, and if so will this bind Aztec when they take over. From Simon's post this may not be the case. Can someone have a frank dialogue with the Trust so we are all aware of the position. This is of vital importance to the future of The Flashes.

Not wishing to pre-judge the issue of access I am not sure this post bodes well. What does tread carefully mean ? Is it individual's behaviour,car parking management or access. I am sure I am not alone in thinking that we need to know what the access arrangements are currently with WCC and if this is embodied in a legal access agreement, and if so will this bind Aztec when they take over. From Simon's post this may not be the case. Can someone have a frank dialogue with the Trust so we are all aware of the position. This is of vital importance to the future of The Flashes.

PM on its way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back