• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General Scope Question (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
My new ED78 has arrived, and I'm now desparately trying to arrange my calendar to give it its first airing.

In the meantime I have a more immediate problem.

Where do I put it?

Most rooms or items of furniture don't come with built in scope storage.

Any suggestions?

Hi birdman!

In the cooler weather, it stays in the trunk/boot of my car. In this God awful heat, it stays folded up, attached to tripod, and laying on the bottom few steps of my steps going up to the second floor which is not far from the front door.

KCFoggin said:
Hi birdman!

In the cooler weather, it stays in the trunk/boot of my car. In this God awful heat, it stays folded up, attached to tripod, and laying on the bottom few steps of my steps going up to the second floor which is not far from the front door.
Yeah, I can see mine spending time in the car... but we've got a bit of heat going at the moment as well, and that's what made my wonder.

Nice to know that leaving things on the stairs is a worldwide phenomenon!

Birdman,
Glad to see you finally got your scope and the 78 is optically about as good as they come. You won't believe the difference in the details once you start using it!

I always take my scope off the tripod and just put it inside a cupboard in my room for storage. Even in the car while travelling to a site, I leave the scope unattached, less stuff rattling around. I don't put it on the tripod until I get out of the car. I then leave it together in and out of the car until I'm done BW for the day. My next purchase will be a quick release head so it will be easier / faster to set up for use.

Congratulations on getting the scope Birdman :t:

My last one I used to keep on a shelf in it's SOC with the tripod collapsed and stood up leaning on the wall between the shelves.

My current one I tend to keep assembled on the tripod and when not in use, collapsed and propped against the wall.

Glad you've got a scope - you'll soon wonder how you ever managed without one.

My scope is in a yellow plastic box (in the "old days" we used them as toy boxes). It also contains my bins, camera gear (the latter packed in a small rucksack), notebooks, pencils, field guides etc. The tripod sits on top. All I have to do is grab the box and tripod and I've got all my gear.

robinm said:
Glad you've got a scope - you'll soon wonder how you ever managed without one.

My scope is in a yellow plastic box (in the "old days" we used them as toy boxes). It also contains my bins, camera gear (the latter packed in a small rucksack), notebooks, pencils, field guides etc. The tripod sits on top. All I have to do is grab the box and tripod and I've got all my gear.
With two sons keen and both scope owners, I'm thinking of buying one of those large plastic crates with lids to put the lot in. I find that if everything's not kept together, I usually forget something useful. The most commonly left-behind item is my hide clamp.

robinm said:
In my case it's an age thing The less I have to use my remaining brain cell the better.
Just the one lefty, eh, Robin? Have you thought of pickling it in formalin and preserving it for posterity? Or maybe for cloning in some future time? ;)

scampo said:
Just the one lefty, eh, Robin? Have you thought of pickling it in formalin and preserving it for posterity? Or maybe for cloning in some future time? ;)
Be very valuable for transplant - hardly used !

RobinM that sounds like my set up, chucked in a plastic ex toybox of my grandsons in the spare room, along with my bins, hide clamps, favourite bird guide, multi pocket vest etc etc..... stuff that may come in useful one day but never actually does.......

I am envious of you guys that can leave stuff in the boot of your car. Because of local car crime, I can hardly leave the car in my road never mind stuff in it!!!!!

I'm surprised it's good to leave things in a potentially damp car boot. The change in temperature from a hot day to a cool night leaves room for lots of condensation and fungal/algal growth.

birdman said:
Where do I put it?

Most rooms or items of furniture don't come with built in scope storage.

Any suggestions?

Ours is on its tripod in the middle of the sitting room floor, ready for use. The camcorder is also on a tripod, but that's in the corner - it's only there because it's not been put away yet!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back