• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

barn swallow babies alive last night, all dead in nest this morning, why? (1 Viewer)

Maebaby

There are 5 baby barn swallows who were almost old enough to fly. Last night they were alive and peeping for food when I went in the barn and this morning they are all dead in the nest. Heartbreaking. Why would this happen? would the parents stop feeding them? the nest is in a protected area in the barn and the door is open enough for the parents to come and go, and the back door to a covered area is completely open so they have good access.All of the other 5 nests have had babies mature and successfully fly away. There are no pesticides or chemicals on our place and the barn is clean.
thank you for any information.

Does sound very strange for them to be okay last night and dead this a.m. Was one of the parents near by last night? If not, then possibly something got to the parents and therefore the kids weren't fed for a bit. I'm so sorry for the loss of these beautiful birds.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum ;)

Thank you for your kind response. I did not see a parent bird around last night, and the babies seemed hungry, as they were peeping at me. Could they have starved so soon ? if that situation happens again, could I have fed them?I feel so sad that they seemed so healthy and maybe I could have saved them.
have a good day, and thanks again for your kind message.

When was the last time you saw the parents around the nest? If more than a day or so, it could leave the babies to starve.

Unfortunately with the door left open which I know you have to do, there's no telling what could have flown in and gone after the parents or they could have been attacked on the outside by a BOP or Crow.

Your best bet is to call a local wildlife rehabber and ask them what should you feed them if this should happen again. Good luck.

Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the babies.

It is most likely either one or both of the adults were predated recently, or that they just decided it was too late and migrated. The latter seems unlikely as it's a little early in the season. I don't know which state Hawley is in, but have the other local barn swallows gone? I know this sounds harsh, but this is likely the second or third brood and the adults sometimes just decide they can't stay any longer.
The only other option is some sort of parasite/disease, though I'm not sure what it could be and why it would get to all the young simultaneously.

Rest assured you could not have successfully fed and raised them. Hirundines are virtually impossible to hand rear and release I believe.

Mick

If that's Hawley, Pennsylvania in Wayne County I think it's entirely likely that the parents abandoned the nest to migrate.

By the second week of August in northern Pennsylvania a large percentage of Barn Swallows are moving on. By the beginning of September few remain.

It may seem cruel, but the drive to survive and breed another year is stronger than the urge to try to save one brood. As Mick said, this is probably their third brood of the year.

While it seems like it wouldn't have mattered if they stayed another week until these nestlings fledged, migration is a time of great stress on birds. That week may have been the difference between surviving the migration or not.

Hi Maebaby and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of this nest. Always sad to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back