• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Washington DC info (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Hi all

Planning a trip to Washington DC in the first two weeks of July. Have managed to find some info on some State Parks in the area (Rock Creek, Great Falls) but read with interest that the Kenilworth Aquatic gardens is supposed to have breeding Prothonotary Warbler, White Eyed Vireo and Blue Grosbeak. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so, any ideas where they can be found? Also, any other info on the DC area (or any birding sites in Maryland that would be passed on the way from Gettysburg) would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Hi all
Planning a trip to Washington DC in the first two weeks of July. Have managed to find some info on some State Parks in the area (Rock Creek, Great Falls) but read with interest that the Kenilworth Aquatic gardens is supposed to have breeding Prothonotary Warbler, White Eyed Vireo and Blue Grosbeak. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so, any ideas where they can be found? Also, any other info on the DC area (or any birding sites in Maryland that would be passed on the way from Gettysburg) would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Chris

I have never seen a Prothonotary Warbler. But I have birded Kennilworth a few times and it is a great spot! I've seen Brown Thrashers, Eastern Towhees, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Brown Creepers, Bald Eagle, Greater Yellowlegs, Winter Wrens and all your usual suspects there. I've heard White-eyed Vireos there but never spotted one there. I wouldn't doubt Blue Grosbeaks are there but I haven't seen one there. Blue Grosbeaks are quite common in the DC area. One word of caution - Kennilworth borders the projects. You have to drive through a "bad area" and then park your car only a hundred yards away.

If you go to Kennilworth, consider also visiting the National Arboretum which is only a mile away.

A couple spots I would really recommend are Lilypons Water Gardens (a local famous birding spot) and the North Tract of the Patuxent National Wildlife Research Refuge.

I see Blue Grosbeaks almost every time I go to Patuxent NWRR in the spring/summer. I've also seen Scarlet and Summer Tanagers there on multiple occasions (I even have a picture from there taken a few weeks ago of a Blue Grosbeak and Summer Tanager sitting in the same tree).

Lilypons is crazy! It is land owned by a business that sells aquatic plants and landscaping. Their huge property is divided up into many small, man-made ponds separated by earthen berms. Different types of water lillies and marsh plants are grown there as an aquatic nursery. There are Koi ponds, turtle ponds, lilly ponds, pond ponds. And surrounding the entire area is a fantastic river with elevated berms and overgrown forest. Bald Eagles and Osprey. An actively roosting Great Blue Heron colony is visible from one path. It's amazing to watch those birds feed their young in these HUGE nests. They have established Purple Martin colonies. Orioles, several vireo species are almost guaranteed to be seen. I've seen or heard White-eyed Vireos there every time I've been in the spring/summer.

If you'd like more detailed directions to any of these sites, let me know!

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

You should have a look at the local blogs for the info you want. John's blog

http://dendroica.blogspot.com/

is excellent - a fantastic source of local knowledge. The Maryland Orthi Soc is useful too.

http://www.mdbirds.org/sitemap.html

I was in Washington for a few days last October and found that the local park and woods were excellent with good views of everything from bald eagles to yellowthroats (Magruder Park in Hyattsville - just a bit north of DC). I suspect that most riverside parks in the area will be pretty good in the Autumn but mid-summer will be quieter. The National Arboretum should be excellent though as it has such a diversity of habitats.

I'd dearly love to see a prothonotory warbler so if you find a good site please let me know - I hope to be back in DC this August.

Good luck!

Dominic

Planning a trip to Washington DC... Prothonotary Warbler

Chris, Prothonotaries have been breeding regularly along the C&O canal and are back this year. Probably as close to a guaranteed sighting as possible in the vagaries of birding, if you are here in season.

From Riley's Lock, on the Potomac River north and west of Potomac, MD (nearby to Great Falls),

http://tinyurl.com/3352f6 <--link to Google Map

head WEST on the towpath, across the aqueduct bridge, continue about 100 yards where the canal widens to a form a turnaround area.

Prothonotary breeding boxes should be apparent at the canal water's edge, to your right facing west, as should Prothonotaries.

A good web site for the region, if you haven't seen it yet, is MDOsprey.

Good wishes,

Brad

Last edited:
Hi Brad,

Excellent information. I'll try and get there too. Am I right in thinking that there will still be a few juveniles there in mid-August?

My other top warblers are Blackburnian and Cerulean. Any info on those?

best wishes,

Dominic

Am I right in thinking that there will still be a few juveniles there in mid-August?

My other top warblers are Blackburnian and Cerulean. Any info on those?
Dominic,
I don't have the information re: mid-August for Prothonotary in front of me, but I believe that would be correct. We have usually had Cerulean breeding a bit west of there along the canal, but they've neither been seen nor heard this year. The nearest place for breeding Cerulean of which I am aware is about an hour further out of town, at the Blue Ridge Environmental Center, close by Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. I do not believe there are breeding Blackburnian to be found near by Washington. Kentucky, Worm-eating, yes. Prairie are also at Blue Ridge Env. Ctr., perhaps closer in, as well. And the usual suspects: Myrtles, Yellows, and Common Yellowthroats.

You might well benefit from joining MDOsprey and posting there, which would give you access to a great deal of local and regional expertise.

Best,

Brad

Hi Brad,

I'll take your advice on MDOsprey. Thanks. As luck would have it we were planning a few days with the family somewhere on the Shenandoah! Breeding Cerulean would be a significant factor in choosing exactly where. . . .

once again, thanks!

Dominic

Prothonotary at Great Falls

(Rock Creek, Great Falls)
I was on the Maryland side of Great Falls late morning today. Heard and sighted a single Prothonotary there, apparently on territory, close by the canal on the river side, opposite the temporary visitor center structure.

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back