• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capercaillie Numbers Fall (1 Viewer)

Alien Mink are having a devastating affect on ground nesting birds in this country and I suspect Caparcaillie's are also being impacted by this threat in Scotland:(

Mink V Pine Martens

and possibly an Increase in Pine Marten numbers in breeding areas.

I beleive mink are by far a bigger threat given their non-native invasive status and much higher population densities

According to the latest edition of Irish Birds mink have been blamed for the wholescale elimination since the 80's of entire colonies of wildfowl, gulls,terns and now directly threaten the very existence of breeding populations of Common Scoters and Red-Throated Divers in the West of Ireland. Pine martins occur in these areas too but are not thought to be a signficant threat since they occured in these areas prior to the major declines in the above species - indeed their is some evidence that the recovery of this species has helped certain breeding birds by their predation on another destructive alien ie. the Grey Squirrel which may indeed also be a problem in the parts of Scotland where Capercaille are clinging on.

PS: Some have suggested the only way to save the Scottish Capercaille in the medium term is to transport them to certain islands in Scotland - problem is though that mink can reach these areas too:-C

While mink are a serious problem for wetland birds , I doubt if they have very much influence on the decline of capercaille's as mink are mainly found close to wetland habbitats though the odd one can turn up almost anywhere.

I suspect weather and climate change is responsible. We are seeing a northward advance of many southern species so perhaps we should not be so surprised to see northern species struggling to survive.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back