• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Excellent photo Zomerset. .i have looked everyday since monday for the dipper..no joy!!
I have seen both kingfishers in the usual spots..so still happpy. I am getting to know where they perch when they want to keep out of site..so really happy. I have been looking on both sides of fosse way plus harborne lane for the dipper. I shall keep perservering now that i know it's still around. Cheers for the info.

Dipper Bourn Brook walkway

Will you put your Dipper sighting on Birdtrack or notify the county recorder please?
Des.
Yes Des. County recorder notified.
The Dipper was there again this morning. It sat on a previous Kingfisher perch for over five minutes and did some bobbing for me. It came out from under the bridge. As I left, it flew low, up the brook past the pipes.
I'd ran from my house so the challenge was to see the Dipper and Kingfisher. Finding the Kingfisher took longer than finding the Dipper. I finally found the Kingfisher near the blue bridge. Then I found the second Kingfisher two bridges further up on what seems to be a new spot for it. This one is very vocal. A pair of GSWP & a Heron flew over. Great!

BITTELL....I see a Male all around upper and lower most days but today I was on road at Shrub Mill watching the 2 Egrets ...and seeing if King was on normal perch miles away when all of a sudden 2 Kings were flying straight at my head.They were banking and swerving like planes and at last moment the 1st one did a 90 degree turn along end of pool....the 2nd one could not make it and had to go over me and do the turn over the road before going back over the water....attempt a landing on on if the posts and then off to the perch at far end.....this one was Male....I found the other one on the outfall later but no idea what sex it was...they did not look like they were friends...lol

DIPPER....had brief sight of Dipper under the big pipes....also many King sightings...a couple chasing up and down brook and under road bridge....one dived twice and had a catch under pipes.
Just as I was leaving had another King flypast and a Grey Wagtail just passed the pipes.
Pair Bullfinches around bridge area by Harbourne Lane.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 NOV 26 040 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 26 040 A.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Canon 2016 NOV 26 048 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 26 048 A.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Canon 2016 NOV 26 052 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 26 052 A.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Kingerfisher

Caught up with the dipper!! From the slab beside boulder (with footprints inscription) three metres away on the bank to the left.
Wathed for a couple of minutes. It wasn't bothered by my precence. Difinitely two kingfishers beside the blue bridge Zomerset. Saw the one beside the blue bridge and another 100 metres up before the other bridge towards weoley castle. Happy days

DIPPER....had brief sight of Dipper under the big pipes....also many King sightings...a couple chasing up and down brook and under road bridge....one dived twice and had a catch under pipes.
Just as I was leaving had another King flypast and a Grey Wagtail just passed the pipes.
Pair Bullfinches around bridge area by Harbourne Lane.

Great you got a photo of the Dipper Keith!!

Caught up with the dipper!! From the slab beside boulder (with footprints inscription) three metres away on the bank to the left.
Wathed for a couple of minutes. It wasn't bothered by my precence. Difinitely two kingfishers beside the blue bridge Zomerset. Saw the one beside the blue bridge and another 100 metres up before the other bridge towards weoley castle. Happy days

Nice one Ouzel!

Great you got a photo of the Dipper Keith!!

Thank you Jason for all the reports - especially the ones for the Dipper.Hope the weather is good over the hols and I can get back here....

PICS....view from the road bridge showing how far the Dipper and Kingy was away....King was in the trees on the left.

Attachments

• 20161222_122427_fhdr.jpg
    20161222_122427_fhdr.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20161222_122406_fhdr.jpg
    20161222_122406_fhdr.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 65
Dipper & kings

Ouzel ...are you the chap who helped me today ?

Hi Keith.
Yes...glad you enjoyed the sightings.
Let me know when something interesting turns up on your patch (bittell). Best of health to you and the missus.

Also a big thanks to Zomerset for the info.:t:

No Dipper today.
I had a run along the Bourn Brook, Rea and Bourn this morning. A total of five Kingfisher. They've put a path next to the Bourn Brook at Pebble Mill. I took a look and thought there had to be a Kingfisher and within a few minutes one flew past. Then there were two Kingfisher chasing each other on the Rea. Plenty of Grey Wagtails, with a few on the Woodbrooke in Bournville. Great!

Grey Wagtails seem to like Wood Brook in Bournville, seen a few around there, particularly along the stretch in the park immediately west of Bristol Road.

I also didn't manage to find the Dipper today.

DIPPER
I wonder if the rain we had overnight put the level up and it moved off somewhere else.

Last edited:
First light this morning there was a Kingfisher calling on the Bourn, Bournville.
Then I checked out lower Bourn Brook Walkway and there was a Kingfisher calling.
Lunch time I decided it was time for a run around Woodgate Valley CP.
it was well worth it as for the first time in three and a half years I saw a Kingfisher there.
As I saw it, it dived and caught a fish. That was good timing.
It was the same spot as I saw one dive for a fish there four years a go.
I stopped and spoke to a gent looking at the Kingfisher with his bins and he had not seen one there for forty years.
(good job I didn't have to wait that long lol!)
That could be three, four or five Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook.
Pretty impressive. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back