• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia: Gambela area - mourning dove subspecies? (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

Every one of these doves seen in the Gambela area lacked the red skin around the eye. Is there a subspecies of mourning dove?

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 91
I'm pretty sure it is not a Mourning Dove, which is an North American species. Maybe African Collared?

Edit: actually where was this found? I'm confused, the OP's location is shown as Addis Ababa, hence the guess of an African bird.

Last edited:
Not an African Collared Dove [Streptopelia roseogrisea], as that has a red iris. A yellow iris means either Mourning Collared Dove [a.k.a. African Mourning Dove; Streptopelia decipiens] or White-winged Collared Dove [Streptopelia reichenowi] - probably the former as (going by the map in HBW) the latter may not occur as far north as Gambela.

@ howiewu - yes, the names are a bit confusing, but nothing to do with Zenaida macroura here!

According to Redman et al. Birds of the Horn of Africa both subspecies in Ethiopia of African Mourning Dove do not show differences in eye-ring, imo the iris is still a bit dark so most probably you saw flocks of young non-breeding birds which will develop their reddish eye-ring when adult

Thanks for the thoughts. Sorry about confusion with terminology. Yes, I was asking about the Mourning Collared Dove (African Mourning Dove) Streptopelia decipiens, and I saw the bird in Gambela and in some neighboring towns as well. A friend of mine has similar photos with no red eye ring from a month before this. I will be able to double check again next winter to see if they have developed the red eye rings. I had ruled out the White-winged Collared Dove based on distribution, but I shouldn't be so fast to do so...I saw a few other birds in Gambela that were quite far from the distribution map limits (such as Egyptian Vulture).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back