• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cullmann concept one hybrid ball head (1 Viewer)

caleb cda

New to the forum, but have read a handfull of threads and really appreciate all the knowledge on here (te11wz specs on lenses).

I have the kowa 884 with the te11wz and plan on using it for animals, stars/moon, some birds now and then. I have the mount for a dslr that mounts to the body and goes over the eyepiece, should be getting a cannon from my uncle i think it is a 40d or something like that, i also have a olympus tuff tg2 for a lighter weight that will mount up to the same mount, will be getting a tines up or some other kind of mount to be able to slip on easily.

Anyhow the question is: have any of you guys used or handled the Cullmann hybrid ball heads they have for about 130$ for the 11 lb capacity? I ordered a set of sirui legs and this Cullmann to put on top since it works like a pan/ tilt and a ball.

I really like the options, weight and capacity listed on it and hope i did rite.

Never tried the Cullman Hybrid head.

But if your plan is to digiscope with a camera attached to back of your scope I would recommend the Manfrotto MVH500AH head (link below). It has a spring loaded counter balance and long sliding plate that will balance out a back heavy scope and make your life easier.
I have one and love how smooth it is with my Nikon ED82 alone and with camera attached.

Please let us know how the Hybrid head works, looks interesting but not sure how well it will work for spotting scope and digiscope use.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/944774-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_pro_fluid_head.html

Thanks, i will let you guys know what i think of it, as well as the legs. I had watched a couple vidoes on the gitzo with the spring assist for back heavy and liked the idea, but spendy. I really didnt want a geavy set up, maybe in the future as promotions permit, but as of now i am going to this set up cullmann and surui carbon from vanguard alta plus and a small vortex high country.

Well, i received the tripod head on friday, took it out to an event saturday near by and in less then 1 hr of use the plastic tension ring used for panning snapped inside. I know this cause i had the tools with me to open it up and see.

Sent a email to b and h photo and they are sending me a replacement, so thanks to them i will be back in business. I am worried that this thing is not made of quality parts and it may happen again. I didn't abuse it or drop it or anything and i want to run my kowa 884 with a camera mounted behind it, this thing is suppose to handle 15 plus lbs. Lets see how the replacement works out. B and H photo is going to send me the 11 lb version which runs 14 oz i think instead of the 1.4 lbs for the 15 lb head.

Hope to give you guys a good review after i get this bext one.

Any suggestions 150$ or less that would handle my set up, pan/tilt and ball possible or options? I kike the idea of a hybrid, but i would have thought getman made would have been quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back