• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camo smocks (1 Viewer)

stu52

Hi all, sorry if this has been discussed before but just wanted to check your thoughts out on wearing camo gear while birdwatching.

A very good friend of mine who is a serving marine has just gifted me the new pcs windproof smock and a lightweight Gore-Tex jacket in the new MTP camo pattern.

My question is, would people think I'm a Walter Mitty character wearing this type of kit? There are no unit patches or wings or daggers on them and I would never dream of adding these to the smock, I think that is totally unacceptable and I would certainly never add a set of camo trousers either.

I love this kit because it does what it says on the tin and is super warm waterproof and very hard wearing and even if I had paid for the same items from an army surplus store they would still be cheaper and better value then some high end civilian brands.

I was also very lucky to have been given a brand new set of Altberg defenders but as there footwear I'm guessing these are okay to wear?.

They are stunning boots very comfy and highly waterproof and warm I love them :t:.

Cheers Stu

Go for it. Its not as if you'll be wearing the matching pants or carrying a sporting rifle to cause other woodland users to look twice.

If however you're not 100% comfortable with it look at the Arktis range of non camo military inspired clothing. Their Falklands Jacket and Sniper Smock in plain olive are both cracking bits of kit.

LGM

Go for it. Its not as if you'll be wearing the matching pants or carrying a sporting rifle to cause other woodland users to look twice.

If however you're not 100% comfortable with it look at the Arktis range of non camo military inspired clothing. Their Falklands Jacket and Sniper Smock in plain olive are both cracking bits of kit.

LGM

Hi Mate

Thanks for taking the time to reply :t:

I do love the Arktis range of stuff they look superb bits of kit I was also checking out these jackets http://www.military1st.co.uk/ku-pcs-pr-02-helikon-pcs-smock-olive-green-polycotton-ripstop.html they do not look too bad.

I will wear the MTP stuff and see how I get on for now though it is very nice kit and very well thought out I certainly will not be adding pants or rifle though |:D| :t:.

I have also just picked up the olive Snugpac elite pile shirt from a retailer who had them in a sale. I know it was a bit early in the year to get one but for the price I just had to snap it up. it is a lovely piece of kit and sits lovely under both the windproof and the Gore-Tex smocks.

I will do a review for this and may do one for the smock and boots when I get time.

Kindest regards

Stu

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back