• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Singapore bird guide? (1 Viewer)

Digbert Doobrey

Hello all. I'm off for a weeks birding in Singapore at the end of October this year. I plan to bird myself most of the time as it seems easy enough to get around. However I'll be looking for a guide for maybe a couple of trips to find the rarer kingfishers and a day out to Malaysia to that birding hotspot close by whose name escapes me at the moment.

I've just had a quick look at birdingpal. There seems a few around for weekends only but I'm just wondering if any one on here has been to Singapore and can recommend someone in particular or point me in the right direction of a website to check out.

Thanks

I have used his brother quite a few times, he is also based in Singapore his name is Kim Chuah Lim his knowledge is excellent and he speaks perfect English. If you need his email address message me.
Mike

Digbert, firstly a guide is completely unnecessary in Singapore - the number of sites are very limited, extremely easy to get to, and easy to navigate around once there.

I don't act as a guide but PM on the dates and if I'm free happy to spend a day showing you around (i've been living in SG for the last 10 years) - if it's the weekend I'll probably be out birding anyway!

Digbert, firstly a guide is completely unnecessary in Singapore - the number of sites are very limited, extremely easy to get to, and easy to navigate around once there.

I don't act as a guide but PM on the dates and if I'm free happy to spend a day showing you around (i've been living in SG for the last 10 years) - if it's the weekend I'll probably be out birding anyway!

I have a day there in November,I'd be grateful for some place names.Thanks Dave

Thanks for your replies. I have agreed a half day trip with Kim Seng to Panti forest.

I dont have any specific targets really, except Kingfishers, and it does seem Singapore is easy enough to bird alone. I just wondered if anyone could help with the best spots for the more rare Kingfishers such as Black-Capped and Ruddy.

Viator I have sent you a PM.

I have a day there in November,I'd be grateful for some place names.Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

Central Catchment/Bukit Timah/Dairy Farm Nature Reserve - good for forest birds
Sungei Buloh - migratory waders will be passing through then plus native mangrove species
Pulau Ubin - bit of each environment except primary forest
Lorong Halus - grassland/wetland
Singapore Botanic Gardens - mostly common species

The following wiki lists all species in Singapore their status and where to find them;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Singapore

Hi Dave,

Central Catchment/Bukit Timah/Dairy Farm Nature Reserve - good for forest birds
Sungei Buloh - migratory waders will be passing through then plus native mangrove species
Pulau Ubin - bit of each environment except primary forest
Lorong Halus - grassland/wetland
Singapore Botanic Gardens - mostly common species

The following wiki lists all species in Singapore their status and where to find them;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Singapore

Thanks for those ideas and the link. We visited the Botanical Gardens last time we had a day stop and as you described, saw a few common birds.Where would you consider is easy to get to by train/ local transport from our cruise ship? I have promised my other half we will do the Gardens by the Bay in the late afternoon /evening so it's my choice earlier!!!

Thanks for those ideas and the link. We visited the Botanical Gardens last time we had a day stop and as you described, saw a few common birds.Where would you consider is easy to get to by train/ local transport from our cruise ship? I have promised my other half we will do the Gardens by the Bay in the late afternoon /evening so it's my choice earlier!!!

Gardens by the Bay is mostly common birds but definitely worth while birding as well - a beer at sunset at Satay by the Bay if you sit near the lotus pond will usually let you see hawking Large-tailed Nightjars :)

Taxi will cheaply get you to any of the locations - in the case of Pulau Ubin followed by a cheap boat ride. Most spots don't have a train station (Bukit Timah being an exception) and would require train/bus combinations wasting a lot of time if you don't want to use a taxi.

There used to be a Spotted Wood Owl that was fairly easy to see in the Bot gdns?

Are the Tanimbar Correllas / Goffinn's Cockatoos still around?

Pulau Ubin is easy to do alone.

A

There used to be a Spotted Wood Owl that was fairly easy to see in the Bot gdns?

Are the Tanimbar Correllas / Goffinn's Cockatoos still around?

Pulau Ubin is easy to do alone.

A

Easiest for Spotted Wood Owl is Pasir Ris Park - which also has Buffy Fish Owl. Easiest owl at Bot Garden is another pair of Buffy Fish Owls.

Yes the Tanimbar Correllas are well established having been around for many years - in several locations around the island but easiest is Changi Village before getting the boat to Ubin.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back