• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Vultures and Golden Eagle in Hohe Tauern (1 Viewer)

DutchSparrow

Where is the best place in National Park Hohe Tauern in Austria to see Golden Eagle, Bearded Vulture and other alpine species (Snowfinch, Alpine Chouch, Rock Ptarmigan and Alpine Accentor) without much effort? Can I drive along the Hoch Alpenstrasse and watch at the view platforms and Kaiser-Franz-Josefs-Höhe? Or does Krumltal valley of vultures give much better chances? And can I drive with a car through the Krumltal?

Last edited:
I was in the Krumtal Valley last summer. Got loads of griffons, at least one GE ad one lammer including views at nest. Also, the valley is good for Craig Martin and Western Bonelli's. On the mammal side we had a bunch of Marmots. All in all an awesome hike. You cannot drive up the valley though. There are a few residencies up there so if you're lucky you could hitch a hike up with them.

Thanks very much! Where exactly did you hike? And do you know if the Hochalpenstrasse nearby offers the same chances on Golden Eagles and Bearded Vultures?

Last edited:
I've been over the Hochalpenstrasse twice (several years apart) and saw Snowfinches both times (at Fuscher torl and Kaiser Franz-Josefs-Hohe). I don't recall seeing any raptors. Lots of marmots though!

Rock Ptarmigan also very often found at Karwendelspitze.
This area is located about 100 km south of Munich.
The birding area reachable with lift Karwendelbahn.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back