• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

IIRC the Fife Bird Atlas says that the summering female goosanders here come from Wales and NW England whilst the males go to Norway. Or something.

Rob

IIRC the Fife Bird Atlas says that the summering female goosanders here come from Wales and NW England whilst the males go to Norway. Or something.

Rob

Could be, although I suppose there's less of a local breeding population in Fife. Round here there are quite a few so maybe the females are, at least in part, local birds. The males mostly seem to disappear though, so presumably travel further afield.

Had a spin late afternoon today. Goosanders were up to 40 around the harbour mouth. Maybe I should have done a totaliser for them. It's one to do for next year I suppose. It should work well for the summer, which is the 'off-season' for the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser. We all need something to aim for.

Looking out to sea produced an intermediate phase Arctic Skua going south rather distantly. My first skua of the autumn and not before time might I say. Also back in town were Bottlenose Dolphins, with a group of at least seven off Greyhope Bay. Not many waders around except for a single Ringled Plover on Greyhope Bay and 11 on Nigg Bay. A small number of Common and Sandwich Terns and lots and lots of Kittiwakes were about. And that was about your lot.

We return now on 'Birds fae Torry' to Holewatch. Speculation mounts as to exactly what it is that's being built in the hole and who's responsible for it. Here's Simon with the latest.

Thanks Chris. Last time you were here we'd seen for the first time on Holewatch some sort of construction in the hole. Looking at it now, the top surface seems to have been concreted over, with a small square metal piece left above this in the centre. Are we any nearer to knowing what it is? Well, no, but we hope that over the coming weeks we'll be seeing more developments. Back to Chris and Kate in the studio.

Attachments

• Hole_090809.jpg
    Hole_090809.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 62
It's a hide! Gotta be! Specially installed to view the new species of Plover you've discovered thereB :):-O;);)

D

To be honest, it's starting to look a bit like some kind of load bearing structural plinth. Perhaps for a statue of Mr Whitehouse i honour of his services to biridng in the area?

To be honest, i reckon it's probably for a mast of some description, any sign of who has been doing the work?

Happy birding,

Kev T

To be honest, it's starting to look a bit like some kind of load bearing structural plinth. Perhaps for a statue of Mr Whitehouse i honour of his services to biridng in the area?

To be honest, i reckon it's probably for a mast of some description, any sign of who has been doing the work?

Happy birding,

Kev T

The constructors have been mysteriously absent, Kev. Perhaps you're onto something with a mast though.

I suppose the builders would have to let the concrete cure for about 7 days,
once they do the crush tests on the sample they should progress to erection of whatever it is.

Maybe it's going to be for a illuminated sign for running updates on this winter's purple totaliser??

Just a thought,

k

I suppose the builders would have to let the concrete cure for about 7 days,
once they do the crush tests on the sample they should progress to erection of whatever it is.

Maybe it's going to be for a illuminated sign for running updates on this winter's purple totaliser??

Just a thought,

k

That's a good idea - I'll ask them about it if I get the chance.

I had a quick look around the Ness this forenoon. There were two workmen at the site of the new tower, but to say they were working would have been stretching the truth a tad. As it was raining I didn't get out of the car to ask them what it was all about. Anyway, now we know, it doesn't matter. Apart from a humungous heap of gulls, Greyhope Bay was quiet. The Bay of Nigg was more interesting, with 25 Ringed Plovers, 5 Dunlins and 4 Sanderlings, as well as more gulls and terns.

I'm impressed with the Sanderling you managed, Ken. Not a common bird at the Ness.

I had a look around late afternoon today. 30 Goosanders were again in the harbour mouth. Greyhope Bay was fairly lively, particularly with Common and Sandwich Terns. There was one adult Arctic Tern amongst them. Also there were 19 Turnstones and a Whimbrel. Otherwise things were still quiet, although there were good numbers of commoner seabirds drifting about out to sea. A couple of Small Coppers were my first of the year and there were a few Painted Ladies around.

It was a funny day for weather here in Torry. The morning was calm but rather wet, which meant that the walk I was supposed to be doing with the local RSPB Phoenix group got cancelled. Once the rain cleared through it gradually brightened till it was clear and sunny but with a vigorous southwesterly blowing. I probably should have gone out earlier in the day but, as often seems to be the case, it was a late afternoon circuit of the Ness.

A Sparrowhawk along the north bank was the first I've seen here for a while. The Goosander flock had burgeoned to 39, mostly around Skate's Nose. In amongst the Eiders there was a single Teal. Greyhope Bay wasn't too good for waders, aside from a few Turnstones and 8 Ringed Plovers, and there were no terns about. A bit more like it was a moulting Black Guillemot in amongst the Eiders. With the dolphins absent, I again saw a group of four or five Harbour Porpoises feeding around the harbour mouth. Off the Coo a subadult pale phase Arctic Skua was Kittiwake-bothering and a single Common Scoter went north. That was about your lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back