• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

hi pete,

looks like a 2nd cycle argenteus with all dark bill and tertials (and white head). can't think of any other sp. with such a covert pattern (both YLG and cach look totally different and would be more advanced). that's my two pence - but surely a striking bird! bit a of a melanin-monster ;)

Thanks Lou, I was wondering if it could be an Argentatus? the grey mantle feathering looked a tad dark for argenteus.Also maybe that might explain its white-headed look and dark tertials etc.In the UK we seem to get some very extreme looking Argie type Herring Gulls in the winter!
cheers, Pete.

yeah, jj, definitely looking good for an argie: structure (plump), leg colour, head striation, large apical spots (primary tips) and late primary moult - good find! B :)

Last edited:
check your mail, jj.
probably the first photographic documentation of heuglini from romania. but could be a hybrid. i'm a bit worried about the advanced primary moult.

ok, klaus malling says it's probably a graellsii. if it's 4cy this may account for the pale flesh coloured legs. but apical spots (white priamry tips) are large for a 4cy and pale tongue on p9 (underside), visible in the first pic here is suspect. adult heuglini excluded by moult score! but check these 4cy from november: http://gull-research.org/heuglini/04cynov.html

Last edited:
Still, there are two chances: hybrid and/or graellsii/heuglinii (3 chances), still we don't know why we cannot exclude a 4cy graellsii which would explain the the presence pale spots and leg color and markings bill. Maybe because it's a large white-headed gull??
J

Still, there are two chances: hybrid and/or graellsii/heuglinii (3 chances), still we don't know why we cannot exclude a 4cy graellsii which would explain the the presence pale spots and leg color and markings bill. Maybe because it's a large white-headed gull??
J

hard to exclude a 4cy graellsii since an odd vagrant bird could well show the combination of large apical spots and flesh coloured legs (slight yellow tingue i see?). probably because it's a LWHG ;)

yes, cristian, at mamaia, today.

http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=621

Dambovita - November 16th 2011

Attachments

• PB164222m.jpg
    PB164222m.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 41
  • PB164279m.jpg
    PB164279m.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 50
  • PB164187m.jpg
    PB164187m.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 46
  • PB164191m.jpg
    PB164191m.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back