• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

Hi Andy, have attached a pic to show you the distance involved with this bird.You can just see the top of the ring above the LBB! It did show more openly than this, but I was concentrating on getting the ring number rather than taking pics!But having now seen the lettering on the Casps in your links, ithink it may well have been "PBAB". One of the biggest drawbacks in Gulling up here is the great distance involved between them and us.The closest we can get is 100m and often they are 300m+....must get myself a Questar!

cheers, Pete.View attachment 325589

Long gone are the good old days of wandering around rubbish tips and viewing gulls at point blank range.

More often than not, I can't read the number on the ring until I download my digiscoped images.

Cheers,

Andy.

Possible Caspian Gull

Yesterday (30th May) I took some rather distant images of this bird, which I thought might be a first-summer Caspian Gull. It does have a long, parallel bill; a fairly small head; longish wings; grey scapulars without heavy anchors; a clean-cut tail band. It didn't appear particularly long-legged though. The wing coverts are very worn so no clues there. The tertials look to be plain brown with narrow pale edges but,again, they are very worn.

Perhaps just a Herring Gull?

Attachments

• LT_110530_YC_fs_poss_1.jpg
    LT_110530_YC_fs_poss_1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 55
  • LT_110530_YC_fs_poss_2.jpg
    LT_110530_YC_fs_poss_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 45
  • LT_110530_YC_fs_poss_3.jpg
    LT_110530_YC_fs_poss_3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 50
yes, paul, a more or less clear cut caspian.
most prominent and decisive traits visible are scap pattern (totally off for HG) and venetian blind effect of inner primaries. all other features supportive - cachinnans.

cheers,

Chaps, I'm assuming this is a michahellis - from early May in the Outer Hebs (would be 2nd or 3rd rec for the area)

Still a description bird in Scotland and there's been a recent review which has removed a number of earlier accepted records since they don't meet current id criteria so they've just made it rarer!

Any thoughts welcome

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 2nd sum YLG 2_1.jpg
    2nd sum YLG 2_1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2nd sum YLG 3_1.jpg
    2nd sum YLG 3_1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 2nd sum YLG flight_1.jpg
    2nd sum YLG flight_1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 50
  • 2nd sum YLG_1.jpg
    2nd sum YLG_1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 46
a retarded 3cy mich allright. retarded because at least inner median coverts in 3cy YLG typically are adult grey in spring, this ind. shows mosty immature brown coverts. typical for YLG at this age is the almost adult like bill and bright yellow legs (which will get dull yellow or even pinkish grey in early autumn again).

Hi folks, there has been a movement of mainly 2cy Gulls at my local Gulling site in the UK.At least ten Yellow-legged Gulls and two Caspians so far.The Casps were 2cys and looked very different to each other, one very worn and abraded the other less so, which is what I would expect with 2cy birds.The attached pic is of another bird which looked very Casp-like with its long straight bill, small head and eye, long legs and long neck, hanging rear belly etc.However it had a completely grey mantle, with no scattered brown anchor marks which the other birds had.Has anyone else had 2cy Casps with a completely grey mantle as this? Could this be a hybrid type? Apologies for the poor pic, it was at very long range etc.

cheers, Pete.

Last edited:
pete, are you sure it is a 2cy? it might be, why not; and, no i haven't seen 2cy cachinnans with pure grey scaps at this time of year but a similar aged YLG with such (obviously 3rd gen. scaps).
some 2nd gen scaps in casp are mostly grey with just some faint dark shaft streaks - any streaks visible? scaps look quite pale grey but the pic seems overlit.

Hi Lou, I couldn`t discern any shaft streaks from the distance I was watching from.As for it`s age I was going on the bill colour,some remnant 1st generation coverts and the very worn looking primaries.Also quite a typical 2cy tail band was present.But could it be a retarded 3cy? Thanks for your comments,

Pete.

i'd go on pointed primary tips (=juv primaries) - and they seem to be pointed as far as i can discern it. the wide tertial crescent however reminded me of strongly abraded 2 gen. tertials. bill could be as retarded as this one in a 3cy with weak hormonal function.

Attachments

• 6 2009.06.24 dambovita cm age Q P6243697m.JPG
    6 2009.06.24 dambovita cm age Q P6243697m.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 52
  • 6 2009.06.24 dambovita cm P6243698 age Q.JPG
    6 2009.06.24 dambovita cm P6243698 age Q.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 7 2008.07.26 mamaia cm P7260488 - Kopie.JPG
    7 2008.07.26 mamaia cm P7260488 - Kopie.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hello!

Just want to double check this one from the Azov sea coast of Ukraine (photographed in mid May)

Is this just a retarded very worn 2CY Black-headed Gull?
Or I am seeing something rarer here: smallish black bill, dark markings on upper primary coverts...

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 69
Hello Aleksey, firstly apologies to Lou for stepping in here( I`m sure you won`t mind, I`ve got some spare time now!). the bird in question is a 2CY Little Gull.The small size and dark bill, rather pale underwing and remnant markings of the "W" on the upperwings point to this, as do the leg colour and typical moult in the tail.

oh, completely forgot about the Little Gull! Thank you!

Then what are these 2 birds?

Attachments

• IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 64
This group was too far away.
I couldn't quite understand what they were. What puzzled me is that they were rocking on the waves. First thought was phalaropes, but now I realized they might have been Little Gulls

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
These are Red-necked Phalaropes! check out the size compared with the Terns and the Black-winged Stilt , you can just make out the reddish neck markings.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back