• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

savannah in october (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

Hello,
i may have a work trip to Savannah in October and could get the opportunity to do some birding in the general area for a few days.

so..

is this a good time of year?

does anyone have any recommended sites?

are there any good sources of online information?

thanks,
James

Hi, James -
October should be pretty good timing for a nice selection of species. You will be too early for many duck species but, if not too late in October, some shorebirds and many migrating songbirds will be present.
One area that you should set aside a full day for is actually in South Carolina - the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. It has a 5 mile (approximately) driving tour, a number of trails and lots of water and marsh. Alligators too, if that's an attraction. Though it is in another state, it is very close to Savannah.
Hutchinson Island is more convenient but comparatively limited in scope. Not much out on Tybee Island but it is likely your best chance for sea and certain shorebirds. There is a lighthouse to visit but I don't think you can go up to the top.
If you have a day to spare and want a unique trip, drive about a good hour south to Sapelo Island and take the ferry. It is pretty unique place and takes a little forethought to spend the day there. The public is allowed on the island by government sponsored tour or by contacting a member of the Gullah community for "permission". There is no fee but that method is strictly enforced. Bicycles can be rented and possibly a vehicle. You can find more information here:
http://www.sapelonerr.org/visitor-center/day-of-visits-faqs/

EBird has a wealth of birding info to sort through for target birds and where to find them. From the home page, you can sign in to Georgia Rare Bird alerts.
Finally, try checking the contacts at Birding Pal (http://www.birdingpal.org/). There are two listed for the Savannah area.

Steve

Hi James,

I had a work trip to Savannah a few years back. At the time I subscribed to the Georgia birds mailing list and got some useful advice through posting a request there. As it turns out, the day I'd set aside for birding got washed out, but hopefully the weather will be a bit more favorable when you're there.

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back