• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory pocket models updated! (1 Viewer)

290g 7.4° 8x25 Zeiss Victory Pocket

Hello,

A rather enviable FOV for a pocket binocular, about the same as the revered Nikon SE 8x32, and better than the Zeiss Terra 8x25 or that Austrian glass. It also has a useful close focus of less than two metres.

What did they give up? Perhaps edge sharpness?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
I'm all for 8x25 format, esp. with wider FOV, but I am bothered that Swarovski and now Zeiss have _replaced_ their 8x20 (or best 8x20, if the crappy Zeiss 8x20 Conquest lives on) with 8x25. As a birder who usually uses and appreciates full-sized bins (Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV), much preferring them to even the 8x32 format, I nevertheless have deep respect and appreciation for the tiny 8x20 format. I've used the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL for many years now and can testify that it is _super_ capable. Really, there is very little that it cannot do in decent light, with superb optics and ergonomics. I'm also concerned about the future of the compact top-end 8x32 format. Swarovski has abandoned that niche, leaving only the old but still excellent Zeiss FL and latest incarnation of the minimal eye relief afflicted Leica Ultravid.

Alexis, I entirely agree with what you say about the little 8x20s, except that I would not entirely dismiss the tiny Conquest. Have you tried the Hawke Sapphire 8x25? It is as small and light, and amazingly good for its price.

...But how much time do most active watchers use these small pocket binoculars. It is not very much...

Jerry, may I respond though you address Alexis. We (I, and Alexis also I am sure) do, of course, realize that we do not represent what I have highlighted in your reply!

Alexis, I entirely agree with what you say about the little 8x20s, except that I would not entirely dismiss the tiny Conquest. Have you tried the Hawke Sapphire 8x25? It is as small and light, and amazingly good for its price.

Jerry, may I respond though you address Alexis. We (I, and Alexis also I am sure) do, of course, realize that we do not represent what I have highlighted in your reply!

Jerry and adhoc,

Yes, I know 8x20 format is a hard sell and most don't spend enough to get one that is good enough, or don't take the time/trouble to learn to make the format "sing" in use. My main gripes with the 8x20 Conquest are poor strap attachment design (leading to abysmal hang), lack of positive hinge stops, awkward focus, and optics that aren't up to the standard of the best available (and you need all you can get in this format!). I haven't had a chance to try the Hawk 8x25 Sapphire. I have tried the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV, and it is nice to hold and look through, but it is big for an 8x32 (packs similarly to a Leica 8x42 Ultravid). I only use that format for functional spec (e.g. quick yet precise close focus ability of Zeiss 8x32 FL), or when travelling, in which case I'm looking for as small a package as possible. I find the EL SV unsatisfactory in those respects. Again, I welcome the 8x25 format, just don't want to see superb 8x20 choices go away. But if a bino company wants to market something "new", how about a super premium 7x21?

--AP

this is crazy within 1.5 years of not been around , zeiss got new pocket models, leica has new noctivids, nikon with the new HG and new brands like maven and GPO with reasonable priced binos that perform well. I have been missing out alot

Jerry and adhoc,

Yes, I know 8x20 format is a hard sell and most don't spend enough to get one that is good enough, or don't take the time/trouble to learn to make the format "sing" in use.
--AP

I was one of these cases. I had the 8x20 Zeiss Victory. Used them for about 2 years and decided I hated them. I ended up selling them and don't miss them one bit.

I guess some people are not musically gifted in the right way and cannot hear the song ;-) Actually, most of those who dislike them may be having problems with ease of viewing or eye placement, so variable among users as discussed in another thread/s recently. Else how can so many dislike these little marvels?

If they improve them any more they will catch up to their Terra model....

:-O

After being away from the pocket world of optics (had the CL 8x25 for a few months), found a good deal on the Terra ED 8x25 for quick trip non-intrusive viewing. Very nice ergonomics, neutral colors that are sharp and bright with a good FOV. Hinge tensions are perfect, but will have to work the focuser into submission...just a little too stiff (but fast @ 1.25 turns close to Inf). As per the CL, ER isn't quite what I need, thus I rest the extended eye cups on my index fingers, then fingers to my brow and obtain an immediately clear sight picture that in memory (okay, no laughs), seems as clear, brilliant and immersive as the pocket CL (but at 1\3 the cost)! Not my usual holding technique, but provides descent steadiness with this small lightweight optic.

It would be interesting to see what the new pocket FL can offer over the Terra (larger FOV-yes, optical improvements?).

Ted

Attachments

• 3-IMG_4238.JPG
    3-IMG_4238.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 165
this is crazy within 1.5 years of not been around , zeiss got new pocket models, leica has new noctivids, nikon with the new HG and new brands like maven and GPO with reasonable priced binos that perform well. I have been missing out alot

Hey Joe its good to have you back! Where have you been, pal?

Lee

I've had the previous version 10x25 Victorys for some years now. I bought them, specifically for hiking and when I was doing SAR. I still use them frequently and are the bins I normally carry on walks unless I'm going to go looking at birds. They are a bit quirky but I love them. Living where I do, I doubt I'll have an opportunity to see the new version but the 8x25 sound intriguing.

They are now listed by a few UK retailers in their websites.
Available in June.
Pre-order price 8x25 GBP 620. For comparison, at these retailers,
the Conquest 8x32 ranges from ~ GBP 580 to 630.

Last edited:
I saw them at Selfridges a couple of weeks ago, and I received mine from Optics Planet today.

I wouldn't call them pocket binoculars. They are not much smaller than my Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, albeit significantly lighter, and way larger than the Leica 8x20 Ultravids, which unlike these are truly shirt-pocketable. The supplied semi-hard case is preposterously large for compact binoculars. The strap has a comfortable neoprene-like neckband portion, but it doesn't look reinforced. Unfortunately it also lacks quick-release clips, and the flimsy-looking D rings (that connect the strap proper to the little loops that you mount on the lugs), do not inspire confidence. No rainguard or objective covers are provided.

The field of view is practically the same as the Leica 8x32, which cost over twice as much, but of course noticeably dimmer. The flatness of field seems less than on either Leicas. My eyes are the limiting factor, but they all seem sharp to edges (once you compensate for the absence of flatteners by refocusing). There is some visible pincushion distortion, but again less than the Leicas. I wear glasses and the Zeiss are much more forgiving than the 8x20 in terms of eye placement.

All in all, I don't think these binoculars compete with the ultra-compact 8x20 EDC models, but rather with the midsize 8x32 ones: same AFOV, same optical quality, a little darker but almost half the weight. A very impressive release from Zeiss, pity about the accessories.

Attachments

• 507B5289-0A7D-433D-BE57-415D0158C350.jpg
    507B5289-0A7D-433D-BE57-415D0158C350.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Fazalmajid, thanks for the very relevant comparison with those two models.

The new Zeiss in both 8x and 10x models is, however, at 290g (or a gram less, see Binomania!) only 7.0 to 7.5 per cent heavier than the Leica Ultravid BR (Rubber-armored version) 10x25 at 270-275?g, and lighter than the Nikon HG/Premier 10x25 at 300g.

It is the same length as those two at 4.4 inches.

I have a good deal of experience in carrying the Uv. BR 10x25 in a pants pocket (regular informal/formal wear, not trekking type pants with big pockets). I find this is manageable, although unlike a model of the Uv. 8x20 weight range, which I hardly feel, and often forget, is there. I am of slight-medium build.

In what kind of light do you find the new Zeiss 8x25 dimmer than the Leica Uv. 8x32 (pre-"Plus" model, as seen from the photo)?

(For the field of view and optical quality of the new Zeiss 8x25, which I read of in good reviews, I renenged on the weight limit I had set myself described in post #5 in this thread! The accessories do not matter to me as I never user them. The binocular should reach me in about a month.)

The new Zeiss in both 8x and 10x models is, however, at 290g (or a gram less, see Binomania!) only 7.0 to 7.5 per cent heavier than the Leica Ultravid BR (Rubber-armored version) 10x25 at 270-275?g, and lighter than the Nikon HG/Premier 10x25 at 300g.

It is the same length as those two at 4.4 inches.

I haven't tried either the 10x25 you mention, but I would expect the Leica 10x25 to be even more finicky about eye placement than the 8x20, whereas the Zeiss 8x25 is as easy to use as the Leica 8x32, no dount thanks to the eye relief. If you want 10x, the Victory Pocket is also available in that magnification.

In what kind of light do you find the new Zeiss 8x25 dimmer than the Leica Uv. 8x32 (pre-"Plus" model, as seen from the photo)?

Indoors at night when I compared them, at close to the minimum focus distance. It is only to be expected, a 32mm objective has 60% more surface than a 25mm, or 2/3 of a stop. Even if we assume the Zeiss uses Schott HT glass for the non-FL elements vs. the older glass in the UV HD non-Plus, it's a steep handicap to overcome. That said, if this were a concern on an outing, I'd bring a 8x42 along instead.

(For the field of view and optical quality of the new Zeiss 8x25, which I read of in good reviews, I renenged on the weight limit I had set myself described in post #5 in this thread! The accessories do not matter to me as I never user them. The binocular should reach me in about a month.)

The Zeiss 8x25 is surprisingly thick because of the single-hinge design. It fits (barely) in my jacket pocket. I would expect it to fit perfectly in a Billingham AVEA pouch, and I am debating using a detachable wrist strap instead of a neck strap, or badgering Leica to get me replacements of the excellent (light and compact, yet with quick-detach connectors) strap that shipped with the Trinovid 8x25 BC. Another option would be the Peak Designs Leash strap.

I had very high hopes for these, assuming they had wider field of view and a more relaxed view than my Ultravid 8x20's, but smaller than my Nikon Monarch 8x30's. But that monstrous case (something that's essential to me as they're tossed around in my school bag and travel backpack, is a real deal-killer. Not sure why premium binocular makers make a binocular so compact, only to reduce a lot of the benefit of their compact size by designing such a huge case. Guess I'll reconsider the Kowas 8x22 again.

Fazalmajid, thanks.

Yes I do know of the 10x25, I mention it in the text you quote!

Indoors at night is, I too have found, a good setting to test for low-light viewing.

Yes it is thick, but not more than the Uv. 10x25 I hope - viewed your photo many times!

Common Raven, surely your case for it need not be its own, or even a binocular case!

Saw the Victory 8x25 a few days ago.

It was nice and compared to my Terra I noticed a larger FOV but otherwise no big difference.
Maybe the Victory is brighter and sharper but nothing I noticed during my quick look.

I also looked at the 8x22 Kowa that felt like high quality but the Terra was easier to use IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back