• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allbinos article - Zeiss 8x30 porros (1 Viewer)

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
Apologies if this has been posted previously...

http://www.allbinos.com/index.php?art=171

I own a late-model wide-field 8x30 and it is an absolute gem - both in optics as well as build. It lacks only transmission and colour neutrality, something modern coatings would take care of - result would be akin to the Habicht - but it seems Zeiss porros are dead forever.

Thank You James For Posting That Link,that Was A Well Written,informative,and Interesting Article.i Have A Zeiss 8x30 Porro Prism,and 8x30b Both In Nearly Mint Condition In My Collection But Still Have Not Found A Near Mint Or Mint "wider Angle" "b" Model.thank You Again.
Jeff

Hello,

As there seems to be two 8x30B binoculars. If I were looking on that electronic marketplace, how would I be able to distinguish the two?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Arthur,i Will Defer To The Zeiss Porro Experts Here,but I Thought All Or At Least The Later Runs Of The Zeiss 8x30b(wide) Were Printed "made In West Germany" Any Help On This Would Be Appreciated.
Jeff

Arthur,i Will Defer To The Zeiss Porro Experts Here,but I Thought All Or At Least The Later Runs Of The Zeiss 8x30b(wide) Were Printed "made In West Germany" Any Help On This Would Be Appreciated.
Jeff

I think thats right - mine were made in 1978 I believe. Physical differences include shorter eye-piece stacks in the WA [fewer elements] and longer objective barrels [than the pre-WA model].

Physical differences include shorter eye-piece stacks in the WA [fewer elements] and longer objective barrels [than the pre-WA model].

If memory serves me, it's also a difference that the later (WA) version does not have a knurled ring on the right-hand (diopter-adjusting) eyepiece. Its surface is smooth, exactly like the left-hand eyepiece.

Physical differences between the 6.3 deg. and the 7.5 deg. Zeiss 8x30 B porro described correctly. See pics.
Not so with the Made in (West) Germany mark. Although the 7.5 deg. type is consistently West Germany, I've spotted at least two 6.5 deg. types, from the last years of production, with West Germany as well.
With respect to serial numbers, everything from 934319 up is the wide angle second edition, everything from 978330 down is first edition. Serial numbers between those mentioned: look for the physical differences.

Renze

Attachments

• 8x30B B130-B110 proportions.JPG
    8x30B B130-B110 proportions.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 8x30B B130-B110 oculars.jpg
    8x30B B130-B110 oculars.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Thank You Renze,for Your Input,a Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words I Am Going To Print This Thread For My Records.does Anyone Here Possibly Have A Catalog Pic With All The Dimensions?
Jeff

Thanks for the interesting information given above.
Another difference is where the leather neck lanyard is attached to the binocular. My 8x30B pair no. 510038 made in Germany has the lanyard attached to the middle bridge rather than lugs located on the barrels.
I would add these binoculars are much more aesthetically pleasing than the Carl Zeiss Jena version or the modern Swarovski 8x30 porro.

Excuse me, I see there's a typo in the serial numbers mentioned. This is correct:

With respect to serial numbers, everything from 934319 up is the wide angle second edition, everything from 798330 down is first edition. Serial numbers between those mentioned: look for the physical differences.

Renze

Last edited:
Another difference is where the leather neck lanyard is attached to the binocular. My 8x30B pair no. 510038 made in Germany has the lanyard attached to the middle bridge rather than lugs located on the barrels.

All 2nd edition 8x30B's feature strap lugs. The 1st edition has strap lugs as well, except in the early years/lower serial numbers. So the difference is not completely discriminating between 1st and 2nd edition.

Renze

Thank You Renze For The Serial Number Correction,it Did Confuse Me But Not The First Time I Have Been Confused By Zeiss Serial Numbers Lol

Tried to buy a 1978 copy that was in 97% condition complete with case this weekend. Could not get the seller down to $300 and gave up. As best I could tell $300 was pretty high.

Most I found when searching the web were around $225-$250. While at the show I also looked at a 6x30 that was much older, possibly before 1910. Optically good for it's age but pretty beat up. Could have got it for $60.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back