• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in Flintshire? (1 Viewer)

What is the furthest north in Wales that Red Kites have been sighted? I'm not totally unfamiliar with these magnificent birds as I often travel down to South Wales. I was pretty sure I saw one near Ruthin last year but it's not easy to stop on the Mold to Ruthin road, but I've recently seen birds being mobbed by gulls close to where I live and I would swear blind that they were Red Kites. Any comments anyone?

I've had a handful of sightings over the garden here in Caergwrle over the past few years, pretty close to where you're talking about. They're certainly around.

James

I've had sightings on the Welsh side of the Dee Estuary, Deeside and in 2006 one roosted at the high end of Wepre Woods for 7 months before moving on.

Chris

Nice one, I've always found May to be a good month for wandering birds in North Wales, i assume second-calendar birds looking for territory but i could be wrong.

Not really that close, but around 30 miles away I guess, but I had a Red Kite over the Cheshire village of Audlem at 11.18am yesterday.

A very unusual sight!

I think its wise to say anyone who does come across a breeding pair of Red Kites (Has the saying goes keep it under your hat) And only report such events or whereabouts to the local recorders of wild birds/birds of prey of that county they were seen in as with any rare breeders or scarce birds come to that as with (Little ringed plover) for Instance, I,m Sure most people know that anyway on here but I think its good to get the message across to (New) or other People too.

I presumed these were just drifting birds not necessarily breeding birds.
Most likely, but It.ll only be a matter of time before they do breed, with regular sightings now days in derbyshire, and
presumably elsewhere, Similar with little egret to at least in derbyshire.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back