• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with zeiss dialyt 10x 40 b t* (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so go easy on me lol, I was wondering if someone could please give me a bit of information on my zeiss dialyt 10x 40 b t*, they were recently given to me as a gift from my uncle and even though I already have a pair of 7x42 t* I am finding it very hard to get to grips with them due to the diopter not being on the eye piece, could someone please enlighten me on the best way to focus the binos and explain to me which is the focus wheel and which is the diopter thanks in advance J

Hi Jase,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Is it this binocular?

http://www.allbinos.com/1748-Carl_Zeiss_Dialyt_10x40_B_T*-binoculars_specifications.html

You can click on the pictures to increase the size. It was made from 1968 to 2000. Phase coatings on the prisms were added in 1988.

Someone should be around soon to help you set the diopter.

It looks to me like the diopter adjustment is on the front of the hinge. Look closely at the markings on the 2 focus wheels. That should tell you.

If it is on the front of the hinge perhaps you can pull it out a bit to make the setting and then push it back to lock it? Or maybe you just turn it to the diopter you need like the one on my 1984 Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA works?

This is what my Leitz looks like. It has similarly placed focusing wheels on the front and back of the hinge like yours. The back one is for focusing the binocular and the front one for setting the diopter which in this case is simply dialing it in. There is a mark underneath the binocular on the hinge where you line up the diopter adjustment you need.

http://www.allbinos.com/1653-Leitz_Trinovid_7x42_BA-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Last edited:
...could someone please enlighten me on the best way to focus the binos and explain to me which is the focus wheel and which is the diopter?[/QUOTE said:
Welcome! If what you have is the earlier model of 10x40 Dialyt (see the attached image), then the focus knob is divided into two sections, with the upper half controlling focus and the lower half (with the small serrations around the bottom edge) being the diopter control for the right eyepiece.

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• Zeiss Dialy 10x40 early.jpg
    Zeiss Dialy 10x40 early.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 132
Some dialyt models which move the objective assembly to focus had the focus and dioptre settings at opposite ends of the hinge; others have them together between the eyepieces. Anyways as you hold the binocular to your face, the ring nearer your face is the one for focusing; the one farther away is the dioptre setting ring. Other than that the dioptre rings works in just the same way as on the 7x42 you have except it is not located on the right eyepiece.

Thanks for all the replies guys, my model is the rubber armor version with zeiss 10x40B west Germany on the front if that helps, from what everyone is saying its starting to make sense to be honest thanks

...my model is the rubber armor version with zeiss 10x40B west Germany on the front.

That will be the later version, as in the attached image. Upper knob is focus, lower, smaller knob is right-eyepiece diopter control. Nice bino, one of my old favorites.

John

Attachments

• Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 late.jpg
    Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 late.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 140
That will be the later version, as in the attached image. Upper knob is focus, lower, smaller knob is right-eyepiece diopter control. Nice bino, one of my old favorites.

John

Nice picture!

That's the one in the first Allbino's link in post #2 above. Full specs for it are also shown there.

Bob

That's them thanks John, they seem to be a very comfortable pair of binoculars with great optics but personally I'd say my 7x42 dialyt are a league above when it comes to low light of an evening

That's them thanks John, they seem to be a very comfortable pair of binoculars with great optics but personally I'd say my 7x42 dialyt are a league above when it comes to low light of an evening

Hello Jase,

No question of that the 7x42 has a 6 mm exit pupil; 10x40 has a a 4 mm exit pupil. That would be 2.25 times the light.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood:hi:

It may be worth noting the diopter adjustment of my 10x40BGAT*P* is pretty stiff - but this is a good thing in my book as once set there is no risk of it changing. I don't have to adjust the diopter for different distances as some need to do though.

Attachments

• P1050439_01_zpswgik1jlw.jpg
    P1050439_01_zpswgik1jlw.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back