• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

King's Lynn Docks - 10.30am

Saw some fabulous birds here in the sunshine this morning. Loads of turnstones, redshanks, mallards and common, black headed and herring gulls all in a feeding frenzie in the muddy banks at the end of the wall of the docks. A kingfisher suprised me and shot across me and landed on a mooring rope for a few seconds! Back further alng the road I spent a couple of hours with my camera photographing a very obliging kingfisher sitting on slimy green timbers, fishing!!! Also a lovely grey wagtail was flitting about. Small flocks of goldfinches in the bushes by the riverside and lots of cormorants fishing near the tower.

Little Thornage Ford 1.45pm

No sign of the dipper but 3 Siskins hanging from alders above my head above the bridge! Had a quick look at the bridge by Letheringsett but no sign of dipper there, then drove down 'Green Lane' and ended up at Glandford Ford - have never been here, very pretty. Gave up half of my jam roll to VERY hungry ducks and 2 mute swans - took lots of pictures!

Moved onto Cley to dip the Glaucous gull again!!!

Dipped the Waxwings at North Walsham and also dipped the Cranes at Waxham!!!!! and then a very long snowy/rainy drive home! So glad I decided not to bother for the Penduline Tit at Strumpshaw as this would have been added to the rest of the 'dip' list this afternoon!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Strumpshaw Fenduline Tit

Is now being seen more frequently from the Fen Hide.

No pix yet appeared. Is it too far away, those who have been lucky?

Still no update on the RSPB sightings website since Nov. 2008.

Hope to try tomorrow, on way back from work.

neck collar

Hi Steve,
you have reminded me of a collar I recorded and need to submit to the BTO. 10th January Waxham, I was looking for the Ross's goose in amongst a largish flock of Pinkfeet. One Pink had a silver neck collar with the Letters ICS, reading up from the chest. Hope thats of some interest.
Cheers,
Jim

Wild goose chasing again
Weather permitting I will be looking for rings and collars on the north Norfolk Pink-feet from Tuesday to Friday next week - if there are any geese left to sift through.
Back in early December several BF members helped with tips on where birds were feeding and I would be very grateful for similar assistance this time.
I was planning to do the Happisburgh and Horsey areas as well but lack of time and money have knocked that on the head this trip.

Steve

Titchwell February 8th

Today's highlights

Med gull - 3 (2ads+1st winter) on fresh marsh in afternoon
Pintail - 143 on lagoons
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Pochard - 32 on brackish marsh
Dark bellied brent goose - 142 on brackish marsh, also adult black brant
Snow bunting - 20 feeding on beach near main creek
Brambling - 5 males around visitor centre
Woodcock - 1 roosting in scrub

Paul

Bits from the north coast

3 Snow Buntings were quite tame (!) on the pools west of the Beach Car Park at Salthouse today.

Ruffs are starting to build in numbers over the road from the car park at Walsey Hills and the males are changing into their summer finery. Let's hope they once again use this field for lekking, later in spring, as they last did a couple of years ago.

Bullfinches remain very flighty at Walsey, with at least one a tad tootly. If it wasn't for the noisy walkers, some even ramblers, one might stand a better chance.

Attachments

• P1050818#002.jpg
    P1050818#002.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 124
  • P1050841#002.jpg
    P1050841#002.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 100
King's Lynn Docks - only stopped here for a short time today, only saw a meadow pipit, good selection of gulls, turnstones, redshanks and mallards.

Holme Marsh Reserve - late morning - 38! Coots, mallards, 1 female tufted duck, 1 Woodcock, 1 little grebe, 1 heron, 1 little egret.

In my mother's garden at lunchtime - 3 yellowhammers, 1 brambling, loads of chaffinches.

pm - work!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

3 Snow Buntings were quite tame (!) on the pools west of the Beach Car Park at Salthouse today.

Ruffs are starting to build in numbers over the road from the car park at Walsey Hills and the males are changing into their summer finery. Let's hope they once again use this field for lekking, later in spring, as they last did a couple of years ago.

Bullfinches remain very flighty at Walsey, with at least one a tad tootly. If it wasn't for the noisy walkers, some even ramblers, one might stand a better chance.

WOW! fantastic picture of snowbunting John:t:

Titchwell February 9th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool, 2 on saltmarsh
Avocet - 8 on brackish marsh
Black brant - adult on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Peregrine - 1 roosting in dead trees

Paul

Hi all,

its getting to that time of year when I traditionally spend a good amount time looking for Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers with a distinct lack of success. So if anyone has any site info please PM me, it would be very much appreciated.

For Connor and anyone else looking for Lesser 'peckers, RBA reported one at Hoe Rough near East Dereham today. And as Robert rightly says, around Holkham monument is traditionally a good site for them.

Also worth keeping an eye open for in the west of the county is a Rough-leg reported early pm between Sandringham and Anmer at grid ref. TF 710 291...

James

Not North West but certainly West Norfolk - Denver Sluice holds Goosander every winter. It's my patch and I visited it twice this weekend. Saturday there were 13 birds, Sunday there were 10 birds. There's normally about 10 birds around but I've had 15 this winter.
PM me if you want more details.
Don't know any sites for Smew at the moment, sorry.
Cheers
Sim

Also worth keeping an eye open for in the west of the county is a Rough-leg reported early pm between Sandringham and Anmer at grid ref. TF 710 291...

That was me in my lunch break. Details on my website - the long and short of it was that it was briefly seen low over the road and adjacent field flying SE. I'm all but sure it was Rough-legged but on reflection don't think I can claim it as 100%. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for though.

I see the Fudge duck has been reported again from Wroxham. Any one have any details if the sighting, as it was rather mobile and elusive last year (as it obviously has been this year!)

(also Robert the Smew still at Whitlingham (not north west norfolk!) - Tottenhill is the best site, but rarely keeps birds!)

Holkham, a monument to Pecker dipping

With regard to Connor's post of a decidedly resigned nature, I have had similar experiences at Holham Park.

One 'Lesser-pecker season', I made the 40-mile round drive over half-a-dozen times, without a glimpse. In these current economic straits, this is not an option.

Last year, I was lucky the first time.

On occasion, I have been less than a hundred metres from people watching the things, only for it/them to fly off (the bird/s, not the people- concentrate!) before I got there.

I have often seen them fly a long way away, when disturbed- or when they've had enough food.

Percy Vere Ants- that's what you need- with more than a Smidgeon of luck.

Attached is a photo of what must be, in contrast, one of the largest woopeckers in the world, from Nam Nao NP, Thailand. (It is the height of a person.)

Attachments

• The biggest woodpecker in the world#001.jpg
    The biggest woodpecker in the world#001.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back