• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

The ugly - my attitude towards these people. Its increasingly difficult to understand the motives or thoughts behind the actions. Selfishness regularly springs to mind along with some sort of oneupmanship....he probably thought he was doing us a favour, I cannot be sure. Possibly as we were not with the main crowd, deciding to opt for a quiet corner where I've seen them for many years.

Well, I must be turning into a grumpy old woman as I share your attitude. I find the general lack of awareness and concern for birds' welfare which gets buried under the 'I want a tick / closer view / photograph' attitude very worrying. Whatever happened to fieldcraft or patience or an appreciation of how far away people should stand from a bird, particularly a breeding bird, or how standing quietly is likely to yield more results than making too much noise.

What do I mean 'turning' into a grumpy old woman, I think I am a grumpy old woman!!

Irene

Hi all, Hopefuly I'll get out to Holme for the BWP and just wondered if any one can tell me the best place to park would be and where to walk to?

Hi Robert,
After 3 days of chasing after this bird (and eventually connecting yesterday - stunning!), the regular spots seem to be:

Cereal field by Peddars Way - TF 709 421. Just off Holme to Ringstead minor road, park on grass verge before houses and walk east along wide track. These are the fields people have been having good views of it hawking and feeding over their heads.

Ploughed fields near reservoir - TF 724 424. Just east of minor road which leaves A149 (between Holme and Thornham) opposite bend in road by orchards. Head uphill and park on verges well before trig point. Bird was sitting in ploughed field just SW of reservoir (or polythene pond really - met some birders from the Midlands yesterday quite reasonably enough looking for large body of water in the more traditional sense of the word reservoir). When it sat down, it just looked like a clod of earth so very easily missed.

Sort of regular routine developing maybe? Feeding over cereal fields any time between 9.00-10.30'ish and between 12.00-1.30'ish and then maybe going to those ploughed fields in between times? Interestingly, one guy said he saw it flying towards Holme church mid afternoon Monday so maybe the marshes are where it's heading when it vanishes each afternoon? Although what this change in weather will do to its feeding habits is anyone's guess.

Anyway, good luck to anyone who still hasn't seen it. Penny - you're not mad (well, no more mad than the rest of us!), just persistent! And keep persisting coz it's an absolute cracker of a bird. I do hope you see it.

Irene

BW Pratincole - Dip No. 4!!!!!!!!!:C:C:C

I have come to the conclusion that I am insane and also that I am not mean't to see the BW Pratincole!!!!!!!!

Arrived 3.40am this morning (still dark) and stayed until 7am. As soon as I pulled up at the top of the road/hill to view over the field/reservoir a little owl was perched on the top of the concrete OS Trigg:t:;) and then flew off. (I could just about make out the shape/jizz!!!)

A birder last night told me that friends had arrived yesterday morning at 3.30am and saw the bird straight away in this field - sorry but no way, that field was completely black at this time!!!!!

Looked all around the reservoir area and back along the track covering the beet field where it was seen last night and absolutely NOTHING!!! Don't know how I am going to get through work today!!!

Not bothering now again until Saturday - can't burning the candle at both ends at my age!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

You're making me feel guilty now Penny. I'm off work this week doing domestic stuff. (shed, garden, decorating etc). I decided to take a toddle to Holme yesterday on the off chance. I first went to the reservoir site where I was told 'it flew off over there'. Trundled round to Ringstead until I found where the cars were parked on top of each other, hopped out and had fantastic views of it flying for ten or fifteen minutes. Even saw it being mobbed by a swift! I later returned to the reservoir site where it was visible on the ground (just). But then I've not seen a Little Owl this year!!

Hi all, Thanks for that Irene but now according to Birdguides the BWP is now at Titchwell anyone now any more?

Well, it came up on the pager as at Titchwell this morning but then there's also a message of it being back in the ploughed field by the reservoir again. So I think you might have to be prepared for a bit of chasing around after it! I think people have either been really jammy and got on quickly or it's taken several days to catch up (as in my case!). Be prepared to spend a bit of time if you can...

Good luck

Irene

5th Visit - AT LAST - seen twice this evening!!!!

Black winged Pratincole - once at Titchwell this evening from main bank, seen on island with the brick wall at 6.30pm and then flew high south back up to the reservoir area Holme/Thornham where I saw it again later on in the field SE of reservoir (next to road) and up until 9.15pm. Got some record shots too!

5th Visit - AT LAST - seen twice this evening!!!!

Black winged Pratincole - once at Titchwell this evening from main bank, seen on island with the brick wall at 6.30pm and then flew high south back up to the reservoir area Holme/Thornham where I saw it again later on in the field SE of reservoir (next to road) and up until 9.15pm. Got some record shots too!

Well done Penny! A fitting reward for your perseverance. Red Kite next??

Glenn

Thank you Irene and Glenn;):t:

I still greedily would like to see it in the sunshine on Saturday - would be nice to see it in flight against a blue sky on my camera!!!!!!

Red Kite - hmmmmm. well you never know I might actually get to see one, one day!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone knows where I might see a Wood Warbler at the moment I would be very grateful or PM me please.

Titchwell June 5th

Today's highlights

Black winged pratincole - 1 commuting between fresh marsh and Thornham throughout the day
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - female and young on grazing marsh pool
Bittern - 4+ around reserve
Peregrine - 1 over saltmarsh

Paul

After a tense few days I managed to get out today and caught up with the Black winged Pratincole pretty easily (it appears I was quite lucky). I first saw the bird in its usual field up at Thornham at about 11am today. It was just sitting there, occasionally moving a few steps, but then just sitting down again! Suddenly it bobbed it head a few times and flew straight up and towards Titchwell. Unfortunately the flight views weren't great, but I began walking towards Titchwell as I was pretty sure it would drop in there. Fortunately Ray Roche picked me up on the way, making my journey a lot quicker! I arrived at Titchwell and walked straight along the path where I met Dave Hawkins who had the bird in his scope. He said "just below the Spoonbill". This was a real bonus as I didnt even know there was a Spoonbill there!
I soon went into Parrinder hide where the bird was a lot closer, but its favoured patch of ground was just out of site, and for much of the time I could only see its head (but hey, thats the best part of it!). Once or twice it was scared out of hiding by Mallards etc. and showed brilliantly. It also put on an excellent flight display, allowing everyone to see such great detail of such a phenominal bird as it flew about 15m past the hide on several occasions. The Spoonbill also showed pretty well and there were at least 3 Marsh Harriers gliding about over the reeds. A fantastic day and I met loads of people I knew, so it was even better. Attached are a few pics, but my scope isnt very good so the pics aren't either....

Attachments

• 050620091012.jpg
    050620091012.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 050620091013.jpg
    050620091013.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 143
  • spoonbill cropped.jpg
    spoonbill cropped.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Have just arrived back in Gloucestershire after a very enjoyable trip to Norfolk - we were there from Monday until this morning - and believe that I may be able to shed some light on Wednesday's pratincole-related happenings.

On Wednesday morning I dragged my long-suffering wife and three year-old daughter up to the fields near the reservoir for a fourth attempt at catching up with the black-winged wonder. Failed attempts on Monday and Tuesday (twice!) had pretty much convinced me that the bird was capable of shape-shifting; consequently, I wasn't too surprised to learn from other birders that it hadn't been seen for about forty minutes.

I scanned the fields for fifteen minutes without success. Then, mindful of the distaff brigade waiting patiently in the car, I decided to admit defeat. As we drove off up the road the knot of birders in front of us suddenly broke as people began hurrying towards their cars. "It's at Titchwell!" came the call. Acutely aware of the disapproving stare coming from the passenger seat, I added our vehicle to the convoy that streamed down the hill and along the A149 to the RSPB's flagship reserve. Somewhere along the way my daughter announced that she wanted to accompany me to "see the birdy". So it was that the two of us headed (rather briskly, I might add) through the car park and down past the visitor centre...

...where it immediately became apparent that people were turning around and heading back to their cars. "It's gone back up the hill," wheezed one bloke as he quick-marched past us. Minutes later we were back in the convoy and heading westwards, the glare from the pasenger seat now burning a hole in the side of my head. It mattered not; this was rapidly becoming personal! Once again the knot of birders was formed by the reservoir. Hardly daring to hope I raised the bins - and there it was: Black-winged Pratincole, a creature of myth and legend no more but a real living, breathing and (going by the head movements) calling bird.

After ten minutes' worth of satisfying views I became mindful of the the long-suffering duo in the car and began walking back to said vehicle in order to convey the aforementioned loved-ones to the excellent Deepdale Cafe. Noticing a gap in the hedge I decided to have another look at the bird - at which point it took to the air and flew almost directly over my head whilst emitting a distinctive disyllabic call. I watched as the bird proceeded to perform various rapid aerial manouevres above the fields to the west - at one point it was mobbed by a Common Swift - before finally disappearing behind a distant line of trees.

So there you have it: the bird the bird had been seen near the reservoir early in the morning; it then disappeared for a while before being re-discovered at Titchwell; and returned to the area near the reservoir late morning.

Sorry to 'gate-crash' the Norfolk thread from the West Country but I hope that this helps clarify Wednesday morning's pratincolesque goings-on.

DS

PS: Had absolutely cracking views of a Honey Buzzard as it glided sedately over the watchpoint at Swanton Novers on Thursday morning. I've seen plenty of these in the past but, being an unashamed raptorphile, I found the experience even more rewarding than seeing the pratincole. Even Mrs Sniper was impressed by the HB...

Last edited:
Have just arrived back in Gloucestershire after a very enjoyable trip to Norfolk - we were there from Monday until this morning - and believe that I may be able to shed some light on Wednesday's pratincole-related happenings.

On Wednesday morning I dragged my long-suffering wife and three year-old daughter up to the fields near the reservoir for a fourth attempt at catching up with the black-winged wonder. Failed attempts on Monday and Tuesday (twice!) had pretty much convinced me that the bird was capable of shape-shifting; consequently, I wasn't too surprised to learn from other birders that it hadn't been seen for about forty minutes...................................
An absolutely wonderful write up, thank you for sharing this with everyone, both amusing, informative and entertaining. I hope your wife has forgiven you!!!!! It has been a very frustrating bird for lots of people, but was certainly worth persevering for, so much so that I might have to go and have another look at the weekend!;)

After a tense few days I managed to get out today and caught up with the Black winged Pratincole pretty easily (it appears I was quite lucky)..........

Well done Simeon!!!:t::t::t: YOU WERE LUCKY INDEED YOUNG MAN!!!!!;)

Have a good weekend's birding.

I think its safe to say that Spring migration is nearly over now, so near the end of this month I will be putting together all the Buzzard data that many of you have kindly supplied. Just a reminder to keep sending me any sightings of them please (especially coastal records), with number of birds and direction of flight if believed to be migrants. Last call will be in 2-3 weeks.
Thanks
Sim

An absolutely wonderful write up, thank you for sharing this with everyone, both amusing, informative and entertaining. I hope your wife has forgiven you!!!!! It has been a very frustrating bird for lots of people, but was certainly worth persevering for, so much so that I might have to go and have another look at the weekend!;)

Many thanks for the kind words, Penny. We've spent most of the day wishing we were still in Norfolk!

Best wishes,

DS

PS: Whilst musing upon our Norfolk trip it occurred to me that I managed seven raptor species between the Monday and the Friday. Bearing in mind that I dipped on Monty's, I'm quietly pleased with the haul.

Knot reliable news (?)

I heard yesterday that the Great Knot at Breydon has been 'withdrawn'.

I hope it wasn't too painful- although it didn't seem to be that much of a stick-in-the-mud.

Can anyone shed light, please ?

(No unravelling by well after 4p.m.? Hmm.)

Last edited:
Autumn already here?!

Apart from the dodgy weather there was an autumnal feeling to the WeBS count at Titchwell this morning with a selection of early returning waders.
On the fresh marsh were 3 summer plumaged spotted redshank, 96 blackwits, 2 common sands, single ruff and 3 1st summer little gulls. A bittern showed well in flight and another was booming on the grazing marsh pool by the main path.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back