• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

1+ possible Parrot Crossbill reported in Wells Woods this afternoon... interesting! Anyone know more, like whether it/they were heard?

I left the delights of inland phylloscs for a family trip to the beach at Great Yarmouth. Lots of ducks and geese offshore, all moving south (which seemed surprising - most Brents at this time of year seem to move north along this coast as I recall?) Anyway, c150 Brents, c30 C Scoter, c50 Wigeon, c30 Teal, 2 Pintail, 2 Goldeneye and, most unusual for an offshore duck flock, c30 Shoveler south. Also a nice flock of at least 10 Snow Buntings on the beach with a few Linnet and Skylark. And the usual Med Gull hordes of course.

Andy

EDIT - DARN! Just heard a RB Goose flew south past Thorpeness with a flock of Brents today! And I was scouring each flock as it passed Yarmouth. This must have gone past whilst the kids were on the bumper cars...

Last edited:
A great idea from Spain

This is something we would do well to adopt- if we haven't already. RSPB, NWT, etc. Does anyone know of similar here ?

Parents fund and plant trees on the birth of their babies. These have first name plates and birth dates on small labels in front of them. There is co-ordination with the local (maternity) hospital and it seems to be supported by the province (Andalucia).

A permanent (?) reminder and reason for them to help protect and learn about part of their environment.

The photo is of a board explaining the above at a local (town) nature reserve, where much planting and enhancing of the habitat had gone on.

Attachments

• P1000523pse.jpg
    P1000523pse.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 80
Titchwell October 31st

Today's highlights

Rose coloured starling - juv west @11:45 with 20 starlings
Golden plover - 600 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - 1st winter on fresh marsh
Woodcock - 3 in/off sea during day
Whooper swan - 15 in/off sea
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Marsh harrier - 9 (8 female, 1 male) to roost
Hen harrier - 3 ringtails to roost

Paul

Always mind the Woodcocks !

Walking back towards the beach car park from Gramboro' early afternoon, I was buzzed by a Woodcock. Is this, therefore, the true derivation of 'buzzcock' ? It flew so close to my head, I both felt and heard the whoosh as it almost removed my cap, then powered inland.

A walk around Muckleborough revealed little of note.

The rest of the afternoon was spent traipsing forlornly around Wells Woods, in search of parrots and pipits. No sign. However, I managed to flush another Woodcock and was pished in by Stuart W, as I reached the lip of the Dell and the pager told of the Yellow-browed. This showed itself after a short while, calling tsweetly and occasionally.

No sign of any crossbills at Wells this afternoon, but definitely sound interesting, everyone head down to the woods and have a look. Apparently they are very loud
As John said there is still a Yellow Browed in the dell area and I pished in 2 Firecrests very close. All good

Annoyingly the rosie starling probably flew right past us at Thornham point late morning but I never saw it. Lots of starling sheading west around lunchtime

RSPB Lakenheath

After a night of going to watch THIS IS IT at the cinema and then clubbing afterwards in full MJ attire until 2.30am!!! I did not rise very early today!!! Well ok I didn't actually get out until after lunch! BUT I shouldn't have really gone out at all as was supposed to be going to parents to celebrate a double birthday. But decided to take a little trip to Lakenheath to see Great White Egret for my year list. I can't remember what time I arrived exactly but when I did - it had flown half an hour before I got there and did not return by 4.15pm:-C frustrating to say the least and working tomorrow!!! Its been there all week and the one time I go over there it decides to fly off:C Did see a kingfisher fly across though. 2 little egrets there and as a RSPB volunteer said '2 little egrets don't make a big one'!!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Titchwell November 1st

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - juv on fresh marsh untill 12:25 when it flew SW
Woodcock - 1 in/off sea
Hen harrier - 2 ringtails to roost

Paul

Buckenham, a couple of quick visits this weekend:
two Peregrines (ad m and f sitting on the same gate!) yesterday, plus 2 Ruff and Green sand, 12 Pink feet with the Greylags.
This afternoon, Water Pipit, one Peregrine (on same gate) and Barn Owl.

Cheers,
Jono

Buckenham, a couple of quick visits this weekend:
two Peregrines (ad m and f sitting on the same gate!) yesterday, plus 2 Ruff and Green sand, 12 Pink feet with the Greylags.
This afternoon, Water Pipit, one Peregrine (on same gate) and Barn Owl.

Cheers,
Jono

Haven't the Wigeon arrived yet? Just wondered.

I went on an RSPB walk there a few years ago.

The Rook & Jackdaw roosting is pretty spectacular

There was a terrific Starling roost at Strumpshaw yesterday between about 4.00-4.30, infront of the Fen hide over the reedbed. The main flock was joined by many smaller ones until there were thousands of birds swirling about, sometimes right over the hide. Eventually they dropped into the reeds but you could still hear the noise of them when I left.

Ron

Haven't the Wigeon arrived yet? Just wondered.

I went on an RSPB walk there a few years ago.

Yes, there are lots of Wigeon and Teal.
There were a huge load of Starlings moving west along the river late afternoon; I wondered if they were heading for Strumpshaw...
Cheers

Ehrenberg's Redstart reported from Walcott yesterday, on the RBA website at 8.30pm, sighting relates to 10.30am. Right of Ostend holiday village access ramp.
Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell November 2nd

Today's highlights

Whooper swan - 2 adults on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh @ 11:30
Snow bunting - 20 on beach
Stonechat - pair on saltmarsh
Kingfisher - 1 on saltmarsh

Paul

Ehrenberg's Redstart reported from Walcott yesterday, on the RBA website at 8.30pm, sighting relates to 10.30am. Right of Ostend holiday village access ramp.
Cheers,
Jim.

This is potentially one of the rarest birds of the autumn, strange it seems to have gone so quiet? Anyone know anything more about it?

No. but I saw another Siberian Chiffchaff today. Another classic bird which called 5-6 times and showed down to 10-12 feet. It was just west of washington hide at Holkham around lunchtime today. Very nice indeed.

Also had a flock of 8 crossbills over the bay only called once and another 4 at the wells end, the last ones sounded like common but not sure on the first flock ?

This is potentially one of the rarest birds of the autumn, strange it seems to have gone so quiet? Anyone know anything more about it?

No sign, from RBA 6.15pm. End of, unless the finder can shed any light.
Is it just me or has October passed with a whimper?! Never tire of getting out there, but in terms of rare birds or volume of migrants this has been a somewhat lean month.

Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back