• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Spoilsport.

In case anyone is wondering the reserve record for GC Grebe is 31 on the 19th March 1984. Mid March has also seen the second and third highest counts with 30 on the 15th in 1987 and 28 on the 19th in 2007.

It was quite a sight Phil....................................and then I woke up!

Des.8-P

The West Midland Bird Club's annual report #79 covering 2012 has just dropped through the letterbox. It is always a fascinating read and enables one to consider local records in a regional context. Despite keeping a careful key on this forum, the hide log-books, WorcesterBirding, RBA and other news information services, BirdTrack and Twitter it is inevitable that some sightings slip through the net. Below are sightings that weren't included in the reserve's annual report for the same year:

Scaup - first winter male at the Moors Pool on the 17th September
Merlin - one over the North Moors on the 21st May
Common Sandpiper - the last bird was on the 1st November. the colour ringed bird from Ladybower Reservoir, Derbyshire noted on from the 22nd July 2011 and from 16th July 2013 was noted in 2012 on the 23rd July. Another bird from the same scheme, ringed at Grimbocar Wood, Ladybower as a juvenile on the 15th July 2011 was at Upton Warren on the 28th July 2012
Mediterranean Gull - two adults were present on the 31st May
Little Tern - just to clarify the sighting at the Sailing Pool on the 2nd June was included
Arctic Tern - an extra record of a single bird in late April although there is some confusion on dates (WMBC states one present on 20th and three on 21st; Alan H reported here three on the 20th)
Meadow Pipit - flock of 30 at the Moors Pool on the 29th September
Water / Rock Pipit - another reported on the 12th April
White Wagtail - additional records of singles on the 9th and 14th April and the 2nd May with two present on the 29th April
Chiffchaff - 15 birds were present on the 26th September
Willow Warbler - the final bird was on the 1st October
Spotted Flycatcher - two very late birds on the 6th October
Coal Tit - 14 birds present on the 8th November
Crossbill - additional records of singles on the 9th and 15th August
Ross's Goose - also noted at Ripple on the 30th October, Brecon's Hardwick on the 5th and 14th November and Lower Moor on New Year's Eve

Other records of interest to watchers of Upton Warren away from the reserve include:

Red Kite - first breeding record in modern times for Worcs, with one young raised
Avocet - first breeding record for Staffs; the eggs were predated
Cetti's Warbler - two young fledged from a site elsewhere in Worcs

Last edited:
Red Kite - first breeding record in modern times for Worcs, with one young raised

great to hear they were successful - as common are they are elsewhere in the country, for me it's always a thrill to see one locally

be good to see the local buzzards getting a bit more competition in the future

:t:

The West Midland Club's annual report #79 covering 2012 has just dropped through the letterbox. It is always a fascinating read and enables one to consider local records in a regional context. Despite keeping a careful key on this forum, the hide log-books, WorcesterBirding, RBA and other news information services, BirdTrack and Twitter it is inevitable that some sightings slip through the net. Below are sightings that weren't included in the reserve's annual report for the same year:

Coal Tit - 14 birds present on the 8th November

Blimey! That's about as many as we generally get in a whole year...

Blimey! That's about as many as we generally get in a whole year...

14 Coal Tit is a questionable figure to say the least. 14 at large and suitable habitat would be exceptional, but at Upton which is lucky to get a handful a year, I don't think so.

I seem to remember a report of double figure Goldcrest along the east track on one day last year. The same finder?

Des.

2 golden plover dropped into the Flashes at 3.15pm. Landed in front of the hide but left my camera in car. Hopefully Phil W will have a couple of shots.:t:

Birding today on the reserve

Started at the Moors as usual at 8.50am no one else on the reserve. Some of the crew arrived shortly afterwards, including Vern, Bobby P, Tony B, Phil W later Keith M. But the weather certainly sorted the boys from the :gh:,:-O Heavy rain from late morning until mid afternoon, kept the birds down. But when it cleared large flocks flew around the Flashes.

A bit of inward migration at the Moors involved gadwall, but the pochard had certainly vacated since Tuesday. Several immature Herring gulls lingered around and they were certainly more numerous than LBBG.

Species count Moors:
Little egret, GCG 3 (2 in summer plumage), Little grebe 3 at least, cormorant 38, mute swan 4 (the residents chasing off a pair of interlopers. Shoveler 30( 19 males), Teal 30, Gadwall 4 (2 prs), shelduck 5, pochard 4 males, tufted 22 +, coot 260, water rail 2 - 1 swampy bottom and 1 feeding station, snipe 16, curlew 11, lapwing 1, BHG 200, LBBG 10, herring gull 25+ (most 1st winters), green woodp, mistle thrush 2 east side, fieldfare 30, redwing 5, song thrush 2 singing, cettis warbler 2 singing east side, grey wag,
F Stn: bullfinch 4, greenfinch 12, reed bunting 15+,

SAILING POOL: GCG 2, little grebe 2, coot 4

FLASHES:As the rain stopped, the birds came to life. There were a few birds already on the Flashes, but several large flocks suddenly appeared at the back of the orchard. It was more likely that they had taken flight due to a passing sparrowhawk, than the rain stopping. But either way in a few minutes 100's of birds appeared. These being 900 - 1000 wood pigeon, c250 lapwing later landing on the meadow, 250 winter thrushes, 60 starling, and many BHG/large gulls passing through. A historical sign of spring is the build up of coot so spring is now here;). Two Golden plover came in from the north then flew over the transmitter field, luckily they dropped down on to the 'spit' in front of the hide.

Species counts FLASHES:
Little egret, Teal 80+, mallard 40, shoveler 10 (total 40 on reserve) ,shelduck 8 (13 in total), Coot 16 (up from 6 10th Feb), snipe 11, GOLDEN PLOVER 2, curlew, lapwing 308, BHG 300, LBBG 20, herring gull 10, green woodp, wood pigeon 900 - 1000, (NO Stock doves!!), fieldfare/redwing 250, starling 60+, song thrush,

pic of a curlew on the east bank of Amy's marsh

Attachments

• curlew DSCF5464 (2).jpg
    curlew DSCF5464 (2).jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Record shots of the Golden Plovers on the flashes this afternoon, I think they had gone when I left at about 3.45.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 197
Wet and windy afternoon

My first visit in a couple of months so I noted lots of interesting changesand look forward to what they will bring for the rest of the year. Spent most of the time in the East hide where at least the wind wasn't blowing the rain in. Lots of Cormorant about and there were a couple of confrontations with the Heron. Curlews were in and out and a few Common Snipe showed. I was treated to a very close walk past by a Little Egret. At least twice, all the Coots and ducks raced from the far right corner of the pool right up toward the islands but no sign of what had spooked them.

Attachments

• IMG_69763cropa.jpg
    IMG_69763cropa.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_69588cropa.jpg
    IMG_69588cropa.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_69684cropa.jpg
    IMG_69684cropa.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_69736cropa.jpg
    IMG_69736cropa.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_69791cropa.jpg
    IMG_69791cropa.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 116
Just had a call from Jarad at the Flashes. He has had a good morning picking up a lot of year ticks. His visits are now less frequent having moved back to the Hagley branch. However he is doing well and is possibly on more than me:eek!:8-P
His highlights today:
at Flashes - Little egret, GBBG 1st winter, treecreeper, skylark, goldcrest singing,
at Moors (east hide) - house sparrow heard from the top of the steps coming from Stoke Prior, oycs 2 (displaying) and chiffchaff (I think it was at Moors).

My year list is 75 - Golden plover (yesterday)

Last edited:
Just had a call from Jarad at the Flashes. He has had a good morning picking up a lot of year ticks. His visits are now less frequent having moved back to the Hagley branch. However he is doing well and is possibly on more than me:eek!:8-P
His highlights today:
at Flashes - Little egret, GBBG 1st winter, treecreeper, skylark, goldcrest singing,
at Moors (east hide) - house sparrow heard from the top of the steps coming from Stoke Prior, oycs 2 (displaying),

My year list is 75 - Golden plover (yesterday)

Re the House Sparrow: Jarad must have massive ears. 8-P

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back