• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this small bird please (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
Josh Jones said:
Right ok fair enough - the light is dull. It does prove that colours and plumage are not typical of a female Wheatear.

Where is the supercilium? Where is the greyish blue back, and the buffy wash to the breast?

http://www.bwifingal.ie/images/Female%20Wheatear.jpg

http://avesphoto.com/website/pictures/WHTNTH-2.jpg
Equally, where is the tail colour? This would surely show, whatever the shot quality..?
Wing contrast looks too strong for B Redstart, and I'm sure I can see white undertail coverts.
Do you have any more shots Tav?

Stephen Patmore said:
My vote would be on a Dunnock...

Hi Stephen,
Heard about your Finland trip, sounds like a good'un. Azure tit photos look great and having siberian tit feeding in the hand must have been a new one, even for you!
Am now on a different and poorer quality monitor and agree the bird lacks shades that I saw on the super one I have at work. (Also had it blown up on interactive whiteboard) Genuine grey mantle with orangey chest present previously so I was heading for male wheatear. Now however, I get little more than silhouette which could be many birds, all of which have been stated on this thread.
So: stick my head on the block and plump for male wheatear: colours visible, general shape, posture in habitat. Also time of year reasonably decent, more so than females which arrive later as far as I am aware.
Jono

This bird is NOT a Black Redstart. From this 'orrible photo I can only see Northern Wheatear, almost certainly a female.

Colin

Jyothi Ray said:
Equally, where is the tail colour? This would surely show, whatever the shot quality..?
Wing contrast looks too strong for B Redstart, and I'm sure I can see white undertail coverts.
Do you have any more shots Tav?

No not equally at all. This is a blurry shot and the tail appears to be blurred. The red tail wouldn't show well on it, especially in such dull conditions and I find it not too surprising that it isn't visible.

White undertail coverts doesn't mean its a Wheatear either. There is no contrast whatsoever on this bird. It is entirely sooty grey. This rules out Wheatear - surely you realise that?

When I first looked at this (before reading the other comments) I thought Black Redstart. The picture is very dark, so I can see how people are going for Wheatear too but if I had to go either way it would be with my first instinct...Black Redstart.

Colin Key said:
This bird is NOT a Black Redstart. From this 'orrible photo I can only see Northern Wheatear, almost certainly a female.

Colin

Fair enough Colin but do you have any reasoning for why this is a female Wheatear?

Do you see any features that suggest one other than perhaps shape?

Ive had another look at the original pic, and I think that the conditions make this really hard to say for sure whether certain plumage features are present or not.

Minus plumage, this is a Wheatear

Josh Jones said:
. There is no contrast whatsoever on this bird. It is entirely sooty grey.
That could be put down again to picture quality, but again you've probably got a far more valid point than me. It may be my moniter, or I may have different eyesight, but I'm sure there's a contrast as I mentioned.
Wheatear for me.

Jyothi Ray said:
That could be put down again to picture quality, but again you've probably got a far more valid point than me. It may be my moniter, or I may have different eyesight, but I'm sure there's a contrast as I mentioned.
Wheatear for me.

Fair enough Jyothi - you fail to mention where this contrast is? My monitor must be seriously buggered up because I see a concolourous bird (grey) with virtually no plumage features to go on. Wheatears to me aren't like this, or have I been getting it all wrong?

To my eyes, and on my monitor, the general shape is that of a Robin, the general colouration suggests Black Redstart and the dark wing is good for Wheatear. If I was gonna risk a quid on it I'd probably plump for female Wheatear. Nothing against Tav94 but it is a pretty grim shot...

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back