• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wrong link for location website (1 Viewer)

Fiscalshrike

Hi.
I am totally at a loss of to what OPUS is for and how to update entries if at all. At top it says it can be edited, but the one I am looking at seems to be a Wiki entry that is incomplete and out of date.
Can someone give me the short version of how to edit, add birding locations, or even how to use OPUS?
I was reviewing Viera Wetlands and the external link has moved. Here is an alternative:
http://www.brevardfl.gov/NaturalResources/EnvironmentalResources/VieraWetlands
As it is locked, I can't update it.
I was there in March, so wanted to add some access details but I am stumped as to how to proceed.

Last edited:
Hi Fiscalshrike

Unfortunately we had a number of spammer attacks affecting the Opus and various other parts of the forums, so a few restrictions were placed on new members, which you can read more about here.

The time will soon pass, I'm sure (just a few more days) and then your contributions to the Opus will be very welcome. Meanwhile, I'll change the link to the one you have now supplied. Many thanks for that.

Editing is really very easy - be assured you can't 'break' anything. If you need any help, I'll be pleased to help you.

The time will soon pass, I'm sure.

Thanks Delia. I'll wait until my restrictions are off (or Christmas is finished) then do a bit of updating. I guess at the same time I will be able to add a location or two? Florida in particular has some interesting birding spots as well as a Birding Trail that runs throughout the entire state. Would be interesting to highlight that link rather than reinvent it.
Sadly, I seem to have deleted any of the location photos I might have had. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

That would be great Fiscalshrike.

Have you found your way to the Gallery yet, that's a good place to show your location pictures and are easily found for addition to the Opus articles.

Many thanks.

Yes, found my way to the gallery and also noticed OPUS has a sticky requesting location pics for, well, locations. Clearly I don't care about the locations once I get home and minimize to feathers or fauna close ups.

Hi Fiscalshrike,
The Opus is our encyclopedia, which not only describes each species, but also covers locations, including National Parks etc, migration and many other birding relevant stuff. It is an ongoing project that we are editing all the time and slowly improving each and every Arcticle. It is very time consuming, but well worth the effort.

Please feel free start a discussion about any Article, if you think something warrants it. As Delia says, eventually you will get full rights to edit any article, but please be careful to check the History tab on the Article you wish to update, as others may have just completed an update.

Opus will always need updating and some articles still need a lot of work (Hint, hint, LOL). We aim to be as accurate as possible when researching and editing, so any contributions you feel you can make are very much appreciated. All we ask is that you use your own words to do that, as copyright must be respected.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back