• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (1 Viewer)

nutty, west coast gulls are a nightmare with all those hybrids hanging around but i tend to agree with you it doesn't look like a thayer's gull. actually it doesn't look like any typical juvenile west coast gull. the fact that it hasn't replaced any scaps by february would favour thayeri but that smooth pattern is nothing i have seen in juveniles of this species. maybe it's a dodgy olympic gull :)

nutty, west coast gulls are a nightmare with all those hybrids hanging around but i tend to agree with you it doesn't look like a thayer's gull. actually it doesn't look like any typical juvenile west coast gull. the fact that it hasn't replaced any scaps by february would favour thayeri but that smooth pattern is nothing i have seen in juveniles of this species. maybe it's a dodgy olympic gull :)

Excellent, thanks!

I'll move it to the 'Unidentified Gulls' category :t:

hi odysseas, no this is a michahellis. now, when they are in basic (non-breeding) plumage it's rel. simple: many streaks around eye = micha, mostly white head but concentrated streaks on hindneck forming a collar = cachi. plus bill shape and eye colour.

hi odysseas, no this is a michahellis. now, when they are in basic (non-breeding) plumage it's rel. simple: many streaks around eye = micha, mostly white head but concentrated streaks on hindneck forming a collar = cachi. plus bill shape and eye colour.

Thank you ,Lou!

Geneva gulls

Time for my New Year jaunt down from the mountains to confuse myself looking at the gulls around Geneva. Usual murky conditions and my incompetent use of the camera produced the attached results today. Lots of 2nd years, all obvious michahellis except the white-headed, leggy individual that stands out even in these poor photos! Also, the underwing was very pale as it took off so I'm assuming it's a cachinnans?

Attachments

• Geneva gulls 8.1.18.jpg
    Geneva gulls 8.1.18.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 2 yr gulls.jpg
    2 yr gulls.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 129
  • 2nd year gulls Geneva.jpg
    2nd year gulls Geneva.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back