• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a kingfisher (1 Viewer)

I have spent the last 3 years walking along the riverbanks and canals of the West Midlands trying to photograph a Kingfisher without success. Time to give up now unless anyone can give me a realistic location as i have been given so many fruitless suggestions in the past. I do have patience to sit there all day if necessary and i also have a portable hide. I would travel outside the Midlands for a strong lead. Can anyone HELP!

Don't worry - I'm down on my luck Kingfisher-wise as well. I'm either arriving five mins too late, leaving five minutes early, training my bins on another bird as one flies past my nose or I'm looking the right way at the wrong time!

Hi Graham and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff.

I know how you feel about kingfishers, they are species I'd love to photograph but have never had much luck with. Last summer a lot of photos of them were being taken at Brandon Marshin Warwickshire. I've also noticed a good number of kingfisher shots on the web that were taken at Venus Pools in Shropshire. Hopefully someone with local knowledge will be able to give you more help.

I believe there are some posts outside one of the hides (not the main Swan Link hide) at Martin Mere for this purpose. I say I believe since I only found out about this after I visited and haven't been back since. I also have had no luck so far, the river I was intending to target a couple of years ago became a raging torrent and I don't suppose it's much better now.

I see Kingfishers quite often when I'm fishing, usually they are just a blue streak going up or downstream and they would rarely have presented photo opportunities. You might be better off getting to the coast somewhere, it's where a lot of Kingfishers head for in wintertime.

Three pics attached all taken in one week around the Xmas day just gone and all on the South coast, (Keyhaven area).

Attachments

• IMG_0083C_filtered.jpg
    IMG_0083C_filtered.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0092C_filtered.jpg
    IMG_0092C_filtered.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0128CF_.jpg
    IMG_0128CF_.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 107
Hi Graham, as postcardcv says Brandon Marsh near Coventry is pretty good for them, I've seen them almost every time I've been there. Also Upton Warren in Worcs is good, at times they land on posts in front of the hide near the feeding station, offering good photo opportunities. Have also seen them at Kingsbury Waterpark, although I havn't been there so much lately.

Hi Graham
depends how far you are prepared to travel but i always get good views of multiple kingfishers on the river stour in suffolk between brantham and flatford whilst of course nothing is ever 100% certain i have seen them everytime i have done this walk in the past year
cheers

Hi
I have often seen Kingfishers on the Coventry Canal between Alvecote Marina and the M42 bridge.My sitings were from a Narrow boat.
Like you I used to walk miles looking for them without success,then I switched tactics and picked a likely spot on the River Avon at Bath and waited,it took a while but eventually I had some good views and got some reasonable shots.

Sevenoaks Wildfowl at Duncton Green run by Kentwildlife.

I have seen a Kingfisher ther everytime I have been there in the last 2 months.

I see Kingfishers quite often when I'm fishing, usually they are just a blue streak going up or downstream and they would rarely have presented photo opportunities. You might be better off getting to the coast somewhere, it's where a lot of Kingfishers head for in wintertime.

Three pics attached all taken in one week around the Xmas day just gone and all on the South coast, (Keyhaven area).
i second that, get yourself to the coast, i know it's a bit of a drive but make a day of it.

Attachments

• kf2.jpg
    kf2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 109
If you're ever Rutland way, I've had fairly dependable views of Kingfisher from the Crake Hide on the Elgeton reserve the last several times I've been there. There's one or two birds that sit in the bushes all around and in front of it.

Usually nobody else much bothers going in, so it's quiet too, just give it a little time. Gotta be more comfortable than sitting on a wet muddy bank in camouflage.

Super photos John.

I hadn't seen a Kingfisher for ages, then last week I saw two within the span of four days. Like buses...

We often get them in Norwich along the River Wensum. Hellesdon Meadow and Hellesdon Mill are usually good spots, although I haven't seen them this winter- perhaps they have gone to the coast. Hopefully they'll be around in the spring.

Venus Pool (about five miles outside Shrewsbury) - is certainly a good loaction to spot a Kingfisher.

Over the Christmas period a bird would regularly perch on a post outside the main hide, definitely close enough to photograph etc.

I saw it almost every time that I visited the reserve.

Hi Graham

There are currently at least 3 (and probably 4) Kinfishers at Kingsmill Reservoir near Mansfield. The best places to see them perched are along the ditich in front of the visitor centre or in the Hermitage reserve behind the dam.

I visit the reservoir pretty regularly and certainly in autumn and winter, rarely fail to see at least one of them perched.

PM me if you're interested, i'll provide detailed directions.

Mike

I believe there are some posts outside one of the hides (not the main Swan Link hide) at Martin Mere for this purpose. I say I believe since I only found out about this after I visited and haven't been back since. I also have had no luck so far, the river I was intending to target a couple of years ago became a raging torrent and I don't suppose it's much better now.

Ah, but you can do better still at Mere Sands Woods, see them nearly everytime I'm there but they've not come close enough (for the camera anyway, digiscoping is perfect). Plans are afoot to rectify this though. ;)

I was at Rutland water on Saturday and saw kingfishers out of 4 of the hides managed to get a few shots i go up there a lot and regularly see them.

You could also try Kingsbury Water Park.
They have been seen here as well...more off than on I reckon, but worth a try.
If you are lucky, a member of the West Midland Bird Club could be manning the small cabin they have there, they can tell you of the most recent sightings/possibility of seeing a Kingfisher. Good Luck in your quest.
RSPB Old Moor has Kingfisher as well. More S. Yorks/Dearne Valley.
And Potteric Carr near Doncaster. They have good sightings of Bittern as well.

Dear Graham,

Call your local angling club which has lakes. Due to good stocking and there care for wildlife they always have Kingfishers all year round (as they do not allow there lakes to freeze over in winter)

Everytime I go fishing there are always Kingfishers around.

You may have to pay a day ticket but it will be well worth it.

Kind Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back