• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best DSLR value for money body+lens combo? (1 Viewer)

Sultanen

What would you consider to be the best value for money combination for birding?

Im looking at a Canon 7D mk1 with 400mm F5.6. I would prefere a 7D mk2 with a 100-400mm IS mk2 lens but thats double the cost of the first combination. But is it that much better to justify the cost?

What would you pick, maby the 7D mk1 + 100-400mm IS mk2 or something else in this budget range?

I'm not a good example because I bought the Sigma lens but I think if you start with the 400mm second hand you could resell/upgrade and not lose too much value...

I was really put off the 100-400mm Mk1 because of the pump action so best save for the Mk2...

The 100-400 mk 2 is an exceptionally sharp lens, and will likely shine on almost any camera body you can afford. An advantage the new lens has over the older lens is that it takes a 1.4x III teleconverter giving you a very good range of 140-560mm, albeit at f8. Although a little long in the tooth, the 7D is still a good camera body and should deliver fine images with the newer 100-400.

The difference in IQ is minor, I would get the 400/5.6, perhaps a used one, for less than 1000€, and put the money on a 7D MKII.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

The downsides with the 400/5.6 are 3.5 m close focus and lack of IS. But in practical use it might not be that much of an issue.

An alternative would be the new Sigma 100-400/5-6.3 Contemporary (900€), and then you could also consider the brand new Nikon D7500. Actually might be a bit cheaper than the Canon combo. IF you are comfortable with 3'd party lenses that is...

Review here:

https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=si100400ni

Another review, good IQ, but AF speed might be an issue (also will depend on camera body used):

http://www.lenstip.com/502.10-Lens_review-Sigma_C_100-400_mm_f_5-6.3_DG_OS_HSM_Autofocus.html

Last edited:
With its small Minimal Focus Distance, the 100-400 MkII is great for butterflies and dragons - the MkI also scores over the f4/5.6 400 in this regard.

Colin

What would you consider to be the best value for money combination for birding?

Im looking at a Canon 7D mk1 with 400mm F5.6. I would prefere a 7D mk2 with a 100-400mm IS mk2 lens but thats double the cost of the first combination. But is it that much better to justify the cost?

What would you pick, maby the 7D mk1 + 100-400mm IS mk2 or something else in this budget range?

I have the 7D mk1 & 400 & 5.6 set up. If the light is good it's a great combo. The lens I brought 11 years ago and it's still going strong.

you could pick up both for less than a grand 2nd hand

Dave

The 400mm 5.6 is a beast of a lens esp for birds in flight sharp and fast cant help smiling when you use it . Just so good !!
After dropping my beloved 1D mkiv I have been using it with my trusty old 7d mk1 and its fast and sharp . For the price a 400mm f5.6 really is something else !!
Regards Clive

Last edited:
The 400mm 5.6 is a beast of a lens esp for birds in flight sharp and fast cant help smiling when you use it . Just so good !!
After dropping my beloved 1D mkiv I have been using it with my trusty old 7d mk1 and its fast and sharp . For the price a 400mm f5.6 really is something else !!
Regards Clive

You "Dropped" your 1D4? Ouch! Repairable? Mine got thrown across a road and survived, virtually unscathed.

Totally agree on the 400 F5.6 L - a remarkably good lens for the price. The 100-400 Mk2 offers more versatility - but at a price.

Last edited:
I have bought a really cheap 7D mk2 in good condition and will go for the 400mm F5.6 as soon as the body arrives! :)

Thanks for all the advice on the lenses, the 400mm sounds amazing as from what i have read about it. I think that the extended ISO capabilitys will be a great improvement compared to the 7D!

You "Dropped" your 1D4? Ouch! Repairable? Mine got thrown across a road and survived, virtually unscathed.

Totally agree on the 400 F5.6 L - a remarkably good lens for the price. The 100-400 Mk2 offers more versatility - but at a price.

Hi John
Yes total accident strap snapped sending the 1d mkiv crashing to the floor landing on the hotshoe smashing mirror and some internal damage. Cam is due back anytime now cost more than I wanted but I love my old mkiv.
Sure you'll love the 7d mk2 with a 400 the flyers can watch out
Regards Clive

Last edited:
Hi John
Yes total accident strap snapped sending the 1d mkiv crashing to the floor landing on the hotshoe smashing mirror and some internal damage. Cam is due back anytime now cost more than I wanted but I love my old mkiv.
Sure you'll love the 7d mk2 with a 400 the flyers can watch out
Regards Clive

Glad to hear that it is repairable - pity about the cost!

My 7D2 is mainly used with my 100-400 Mk2 - great combination. However I have problems with my right eye so I think my BIF days are over. Off to see the Consultant on Monday - maybe they can do something, but I doubt it - we will see.

Hi John
Yes total accident strap snapped sending the 1d mkiv crashing to the floor landing on the hotshoe smashing mirror and some internal damage....
Clive

Sorry to hear that, it is always my worry that something will let go and send the gear to oblivion.
I switched to the Op-Tech utility strap for that reason, the stuff hangs from the strap, so even if one link fails, the other still holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back