• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Song Sparrow, Alberta , Canada.June (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
Having recently realised through the help of several fellow BF members that a sparrow I thought was a Song Sparrow was probably a Vesper Sparrow, I thought i'd better check this one out - I do find these N American Sparrows very difficult to ID. Would be thankful for any advice/comments

Attachments

• DSC_1039.JPG
    DSC_1039.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 106
Having recently realised through the help of several fellow BF members that a sparrow I thought was a Song Sparrow was probably a Vesper Sparrow, I thought i'd better check this one out - I do find these N American Sparrows very difficult to ID. Would be thankful for any advice/comments

Yes, that is a Vesper Sparrow - head and breast pattern says it to me, (a Song would have messy streaking along the flanks and breast not seen in this bird). Also a Song would lack the distinct white eye-ring.

I agree with Vesper Sparrow. You should look at the whole bird of course, but once you see a pink bill you can forget about Song Sparrow.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back