• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help: ferrite core on MC-EU1 Remote.. (1 Viewer)

lima

After reading some of the threads I'm a bit sorry I purchased this remote - very expensive in Australia but too late now.
Some questions about the ferrite core on the cable:
1) Does it have to be near the end attached to the camera?
2) Does it matter which way round it is attached.
3) Why is it there?
I thought it was only there to allow you to shorten the cable so I removed it as it's fairly weighty hanging off camera. Then I realised it was a ferrite core and probably should stay on but it would be better on the other end as far as weight goes and I don't know which way round it was originally. Remote seemed to work OK without it when I was learning how to use it but only took a couple of shots.
Lima

lima said:
After reading some of the threads I'm a bit sorry I purchased this remote - very expensive in Australia but too late now.
3) Why is it there?
I thought it was only there to allow you to shorten the cable so I removed it as it's fairly weighty hanging off camera. Then I realised it was a ferrite core and probably should stay on but it would be better on the other end as far as weight goes and I don't know which way round it was originally. Remote seemed to work OK without it when I was learning how to use it but only took a couple of shots.
Lima

Hi Lima,

The ferrite core is in line for a purpose of reducing any possible emissions from the remote battery which could cause sporadic interference to the camera. Yes it does need to be at the camera end of the cable, the configuration of the core does not matter. What I do when I use my remote, I leave I leave it connected to the usb port and I support it with a cable tie through the strap eye to take the weight off the cable. Doing this it cuts the chance of ware on this part of the cable. My friends remote has developed a fault within the cable due to this.

Regards

Roy.

Thanks Roy, for all your info and the tip about supporting the weight is a good idea. That's why I originally removed it because I'd read that others had trouble with cable falling out of camera.
Lorna

Most people seem to have no problems with this device so long as the instructions for connecting and switching on in the correct sequence is followed.

Also, there is available from the Nikon web site a free software download that will update the MC-EU1 firmware and cure a few glitches. You'll have to search their site as I don't have the web address.

lima said:
Thanks Roy, for all your info and the tip about supporting the weight is a good idea. That's why I originally removed it because I'd read that others had trouble with cable falling out of camera.
Lorna

Ok Lorna
I will explain again how I fix the cable to my 995. With the remote plugged in I fix the cable to the bottom strap eye with a small cable tie then the weight of the cable is not hanging onto the usb port. When not in use just remove the usb plug.

Roy.

Thanks for that tip,Roy,I personally do not remove the cable from the usb port,as i did read somewhere that constant unplugging could damage the port itself,so unless it stops working,I just leave it in situ all the time,so far with this replacement one which was sent by Nikon,have had no problems.But I will go with your idea of the cable tie.

lima said:
3) Why is it there?

I'd be betting it is only there to make the camera pass the radio emissions testing. Ferrite blocks are commonly used for this on many accessory cords. If you move or loosen the block you might increase the chance of interfering with nearby radio receivers or televisions and increase the chance that something might be able to interfere with the camera (especially in the case of a transmitter such as a cellphone or business radio) but most likely you will not notice any effect. Just stay away from airports.

Securing the remote lead

RoyH said:
Ok Lorna
I will explain again how I fix the cable to my 995. With the remote plugged in I fix the cable to the bottom strap eye with a small cable tie then the weight of the cable is not hanging onto the usb port. When not in use just remove the usb plug.

Roy.

Roy I have modified your good idea and pass the lead through the strap and use the sliding black plastic "thingy" to secure it against swivel strap attachment on the camera.

jim

jiminlondon99 said:
Roy I have modified your good idea and pass the lead through the strap and use the sliding black plastic "thingy" to secure it against swivel strap attachment on the camera.

jim

Hi Jim,
Glad to be of help, this will put less strain on the USB port also.

Good digiscoping.

Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back