• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Shore Birds (1 Viewer)

rpharvey

I've spent a lot of time lately trying to plow through my photo collection to attach id tags to my bird photos and this forum has proven to be an enormous help in the process. Thank you all for your remarkable identification abilities.

After many hours with my field guides, I have again proven that I can't tell one shore bird from another. Actually, I have identified many but there's still a set that escapes me. I have built an album at http://picasaweb.google.com/harveyronp/FloridaShoreBirds# which, if you all provide as great assistance as in the past, will get me 99% done with my photo collection clean up.

All photos except the last were taken in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. The last one is on the St John River in Florida. Ignore the laughing gull and egret. It's just the little guys I'm after.

Thanks for all the help you have provided on previous postings and for any assistance possible with this one.

I would guess that #2, 3, and 4 are a Willet (plus a Laughing Gull in #4) and that #7, 9, 10, and 11 are a Sanderling. Don't know about the others.

Last edited:
1, 12-Spotted Sandpiper
2-6 (Western) Willet
7, 9-11 Sanderling
8 Black-bellied Plover
13 Limpkin

Best,
Jim

I have a question in regards to how you sort your photos, do you go by year and month taken, or do you sort purely by species/family... or by species/family within each year? I ask because I need a better system for myself, rather than trying to filter through different months to try and remember when it was I took that picture of a certain bird :p

Azzy, try look in this forum for previous threads discussing your topic. It all depends on how much work you want to put in, but look at photo managers.

Niels

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and tag each photo with a minimum of three tags, year, species and location. Many have additional tags for fine tuning but all should have these three.

I used to just have location, date, and "Birds" which is why I have been putting up some ID request lists lately.

I somehow did not originally notice the Limpkin (has it been there from the beginning?) or would have IDed it as well since it is a bird that I have seen many, many times.

Azzy, try look in this forum for previous threads discussing your topic. It all depends on how much work you want to put in, but look at photo managers.

Niels

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and tag each photo with a minimum of three tags, year, species and location. Many have additional tags for fine tuning but all should have these three.

I used to just have location, date, and "Birds" which is why I have been putting up some ID request lists lately.

Thanks for that guys, have checked out that other thread now also, and many thanks for the info :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back