• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jena 8x30M Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Looks like a 1980's type Zeiss Jena case (but 1950's I don't know) and the binocular at first glance looks like a Zeiss too. I've thought about this a little more and yet another possibility occurs! It's very strange that the serial numbers of the three binoculars with these markings indicate 1952, 1955 and 1964 manufacture. You'd think that if Zeiss Jena binoculars with such markings were made over such a long time-span there would be quite a few examples around and more people would know something about it. This suggests to me that as discussed earlier: 1) It is a fake or 2) it is a real Zeiss Jena with altered markings by a forger to increase its value or a new thought 3) it is a real Zeiss Jena which has been reconditioned and relabeled by that company for sale to an unknown market/buyer, and the "M" marking may be a clue as to what that market was.

Last edited:
You are right: if this kind of marking is not widely known by collectors, such binoculars could not be a mass production. Having 3 pieces with a period spanning over 12 years means there should be plenty of these.
If this were merely a fake product, would the forger not try to make his fake binocular look exactly like the original? I would imagine they would put Carl Zeiss logo and make sure it looks as identical to the original as possible, wouldn't they?
I looked through magnifying glass at the surface where the logos are, and did not see any trace of erased engraving: it would need to be erased quite deep I guess. However, I am not 100% sure, because the area on which the logos are is more matt than that closer to the edges of the metal plates. It could theoretically be that someone removed the original engravings, added paint, polished it and then engraved new logos. Not sure if this is possible - because the engraving looks perfect quality and must have been made by a machine, not by hand. And again, why to alter by removing Carl Zeiss logo the presence of which makes the binoculars more not less valuable. And I do not have other binoculars to compare - maybe the middles of plates with logos are always matt and the edges are shiny because they get overtime polished by the hands holding the piece.
Overall, it looks a good quality piece, not a cheap product. Can it be that the factory was for some reasons producing certain number of items a year for a country or an organisation that could not use the Carl Zeiss product. This is as I understand your recent suggestion, and I tend to think the same way.
Thank you very much for looking into this. Let us see and maybe more people would post pieces like this or provide inputs on possible origin.
Whatever it is, fake or genuine, the time spent on trying to identify it is so exciting!

Can it be that the factory was for some reasons producing certain number of items a year for a country or an organisation that could not use the Carl Zeiss product. This is as I understand your recent suggestion, and I tend to think the same way.
This is quite possible. If so, I think the intended market would have been civilian instead of military because all the examples are center focus and the military would want an individual focus binocular for its better durability and weatherproofing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back