• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dealing with rodents (1 Viewer)

Backyard Sanctuary

Since spring of this year we have set out seed bird feeders. We have both nyger mesh feeders and squirrel proof feeders filled with hulled sunflower seeds. Dealing with squirrels is not much of a problem as the squirrel proof feeders do remarkable well and they don't seem interested in the nyjer seeds. But the other night I shinned my flashlight on one of the squirrel proof feeders as I noticed it was swaying back and forth. This was around midnight. To my surprise several rats were on the feeder. I found them again last night on the feeder as well. I have not noticed them before, but then again I was not looking for them either. Last night I witnessed the same thing. Is this common? Is it possible to keep them away? I was thinking about taking the feeders down after sunset each night. Your thoughts?

We get rats in daylight here, they are encouraged I'm sure, by the food for the birds, but ours arrived, (I say arrived, they were probably around long before, but we never spotted them,) by the kids getting a pet rabbit originally.
Do take your feeders down, if they are climbing on them as they can spread desease.
The rats here only forage on the ground luckilly. If they get too numerous, OH deals with them, but in Britian they are everywhere. We have to a certain extent learned to live with them.

Hey mate,

Maybe you could post a photo of your feeders if there actually getting to and on your feeders it's probably some kind of position problem.
I would expect some level of rat activity under all feeders around food or people, But to be climbing and hanging onto feeders:s dam resourceful critters.
Other than position then your only option left is to trap or shoot i guess. *i don't like poison*

Regards

Karpman

I inherited the local kitty-cat population when I moved into my house. I put catch trays under my tube feeders and make sure I move the suet feeders around a bit. This keeps the birds off the ground, where Puss would gladly play with them.
The kittys have obliterated the small local rodents, and the grey squirrels are shy of them. The local bird population is probably healthier and safer because of them!?

Rats or squirrels are difficult to deal with, but if things get out of hand some action may have to be sought.

Poisoning in my book is definately out of the question. So to is drowning.

Shooting with an air rifle is a possibility but not in a built up area. One has to be a good shot too.

A cat,dog[ especially a terrier ] or a ferret seams a good option, but can be time consuming as the hunters you are using like to do things their way more often than not.
My Labrador is a good ratter and mouser but her clumsiness sometimes works against her.

Try using a baited humane trap. When caught either release the culprit somewhere well away from where they were caught and if possible away from other dwellings or get relevent authorities to deal with hence with. Rats can travel vast distances so if you are
going to dispose of them make sure you do it at least 3-5km away from the capturing point.

Other than that you can just sit back and hope that Mother Nature will do her job effectively or remove the bird feeders for a while until things quieten down.

I had the same problem with my squirrel proof feeders, the rats would climb up and sit inside the cage eating the seed!

We have placed a large plastic bowl over the feeding post. First we took down the feeders , cut a post size hole in the bottom of the bowl and placed it upside down over the post. We put nails in the post to stop the bowl from slipping down the post. The rats can no longer climb up the post to the feeders!

" Backyard Sanctuary " ; I'm a professional Pest Controller (What ye may know, over there, as an " Exterminator " or even an " ADC " man?).

First off, I'd want to establish exactly which rats ye dealing with there. Rattus or Norvegicus.

Being as they're coming after seeds, I wonder if it's Norways. Both will come at night. Only, Norvgicus, " Brown Rats " aren't quite so adept at climbing as the " Black Rat " (Rattus rattus) which you may know as Roof or Tree Rats.

If it's Brown's? I find simply running a length of 2.50mm fence wire between two uprights and hanging my feeders off those stops them. It has to be a good four foot from either end to the feeder though. Those boys can leap! Thus the feeder wants to be the same, minimal height from the ground too.

If it's Rattus rattus? I'm afraid they'd be beyond my own direct experience (They being extremely rare now, over this way). But, I do understand they can climb like hell and have a taste for citrus?

I don't know ye personal situation. But, I Do know that any other 'advise' would be as much use as suggesting; " Need a complete re wire? Hey! Just buy a screw driver and pair of side cutters! ".

No. Seek professional advice. Rats are rodents. Rodents, by definition, gnaw. They get into ye home (Which they likely will, if they're not emanating from it)? They'll gnaw ye wires. Then it'll be too late to ask on a forum and be told, " Fill a bucket of water and throw it at the conflagration. "

Seek professional advice. Locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back