• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P900 Zoom!! (1 Viewer)

shezza

Hi all, I think by now every one has seen clips of what the P900 zoom can do (including the obligatory clip of the moon on Youtube) But one thing I have noticed is when these clips are being zoomed in on just before max zoom the clips always seem to stop and and then start again, as though the operator is having to go into another mode! perhaps digital which does not make for a good smooth zoom, is this correct? Also does anyone have a link to where there are zoom clips of both the P900 and the Canon SX60 for comparison of the extra reach.

Just tried mine out, and it won't video in digital zoom. If filming and you try to zoom past the optical zoom then the zoom won't go out any more past the 2000mm optical. I then set the camera at full digital zoom and switched on the video and the camera set itself back to optical and the filming started as normal.

There is a change in noise level when passing from optical to digital zoom, , so no motor running, probably because there is no drive needed to go digital but that doesn't affect taking stills as you can't take pics while zooming anyway.

Hope this answers your query

Den

Just tried mine out, and it won't video in digital zoom. If filming and you try to zoom past the optical zoom then the zoom won't go out any more past the 2000mm optical. I then set the camera at full digital zoom and switched on the video and the camera set itself back to optical and the filming started as normal.

There is a change in noise level when passing from optical to digital zoom, , so no motor running, probably because there is no drive needed to go digital but that doesn't affect taking stills as you can't take pics while zooming anyway.

Hope this answers your query

Den

So are you saying that the 2000mm is optical without any digital?

Hi all, I think by now every one has seen clips of what the P900 zoom can do (including the obligatory clip of the moon on Youtube) But one thing I have noticed is when these clips are being zoomed in on just before max zoom the clips always seem to stop and and then start again, as though the operator is having to go into another mode! perhaps digital which does not make for a good smooth zoom, is this correct? Also does anyone have a link to where there are zoom clips of both the P900 and the Canon SX60 for comparison of the extra reach.

There is a P900 thread been going for some time where these issues are covered.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back