• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF35CA camera adapter? (1 Viewer)

janfrank3

Hello, this is my first post on Birdforum. I have been looking for any review from a user of the Pentax PF35CA camera adapter. I have an Pf80EDA scope with the supplied 20-60x zoom eyepiece. I have not found any reports on the Pentax camera adapter after about a year of looking on the net.

I am very happy with the spotting scope and am guessing that I would be able to get better bird photography from the Pentax camera adapter and a film camera than using the digiscoping route. Unfortunately, I don't have a Pentax camera, so I would be buying the adapter and the camera body as well. That adapter is expensive at $400.00 retail. The best price I've seen is $368.xx at B&h photo.

If anyone has had any experience with the Pentax camera adapter, I would be happy to hear the results. I really want to capture some of the local birds.

Thank you.

Frank Britton.

Hi Frank, Welcome to Birdforum, from all the moderators and other staff here!

I've taken the liberty of moving your Post to start a new thread for you - hope the title's ok? Should stand a better chance of getting some replies this way ;)!

Cheers,

Andy.

janfrank3 said:
Hello, this is my first post on Birdforum. I have been looking for any review from a user of the Pentax PF35CA camera adapter. I have an Pf80EDA scope with the supplied 20-60x zoom eyepiece. I have not found any reports on the Pentax camera adapter after about a year of looking on the net.

I am very happy with the spotting scope and am guessing that I would be able to get better bird photography from the Pentax camera adapter and a film camera than using the digiscoping route. Unfortunately, I don't have a Pentax camera, so I would be buying the adapter and the camera body as well. That adapter is expensive at $400.00 retail. The best price I've seen is $368.xx at B&h photo.

If anyone has had any experience with the Pentax camera adapter, I would be happy to hear the results. I really want to capture some of the local birds.

Thank you.

Frank Britton.

Hello Frank,

Let me preface all that follows by saying that, unlike most on this forum, at best I am an amateur photographer, so my remarks are submitted using no scientific testing procedures only what looks acceptable to me.

My wife has a Pentax 35mm ZX-M and I kinda lusted after the digital ist*, so a couple of years ago I bought the PF-80 and the PF35CA camera adaptor to justify buying the scope … read that, so she too could use the scope w/her camera. She has not used the scope all that much. Mostly because we have not been on a trip where she has had the opportunity but also because unlike digital, it is more expensive shooting film and she is reluctant to test drive the scope. She is more that happy with most of the pictures she has taken using the scope, but going in we knew that for her to get sharp pictures the lighting had to very good. I think the f stop on the adaptor is f-12, so you will need good light. If you are going the Pentax 35mm route I would also recommend a remote shutter release. For the Pentax this is less than $40.00. You will also need a very sturdy tripod, when you hang the adaptor and a camera body on the scope, you will be putting a load on the tripod.

One drawback that she has using the scope/adaptor is based on my digiscoping experience. I have been using the Nikon CP-4500 w/the scope. A digital camera with a 3X1 optical zoom will give you more flexibility as you can zoom in and out using the camera’s zoom to aid with framing. This is something you can not do w/the adaptor and a 35mm camera, you will have to move closer or back away.

It will not really answer all your questions, but if you are interested I can take some digital pictures using the adaptor and email them to you. I do have access to a Pentax ist*DS (still lusting) and I can take a few pictures and you can get an idea of what you can expect using the adaptor.

Let me know if you would like to see something like this. I now refer you back to my first sentence.

Ciao

Dick

Hi Dick, thanks for the response. You are the only person that I've come in contact with that has used the Pentax camera adapter, or even has one.

Fortunately, I have the scope, heavy tripod and a cable release, so all I need is the Pentax adapter and a Pentax camera body with the "K mount".
I have seen plenty of Pentax k1000's for sale on ebay going for about $ 75.00 with the 50mm lens.

If you are so inclined, I would be very happy to see some images made with the Pf80 scope and Pf35ca adapter. I too am lusting for a digital SLR and I might consider the *ist. I have heard that the pentax eye pieces are outstanding performers and am hoping the adapter is up to par, considering the price! My scope and zoom eyepiece are very good performers. I look forward to using the scope for photography.

Thank you,

Frank

janfrank3 said:
Hi Dick, thanks for the response. You are the only person that I've come in contact with that has used the Pentax camera adapter, or even has one.

Fortunately, I have the scope, heavy tripod and a cable release, so all I need is the Pentax adapter and a Pentax camera body with the "K mount".
I have seen plenty of Pentax k1000's for sale on ebay going for about $ 75.00 with the 50mm lens.

If you are so inclined, I would be very happy to see some images made with the Pf80 scope and Pf35ca adapter. I too am lusting for a digital SLR and I might consider the *ist. I have heard that the pentax eye pieces are outstanding performers and am hoping the adapter is up to par, considering the price! My scope and zoom eyepiece are very good performers. I look forward to using the scope for photography.

Thank you,

Frank

Hey Frank,

Sounds like you have the "support" equipment. I will be happy to take a few sample shots for you. May not be able to do so until the weekend, but if I can borrow the camera before I'll give you a shout.

Talk to you later.

Dick

Email

janfrank3 said:
Thanks Dick, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

Frank.
Frank,

I sent you an email this AM using the BF link. Have you received it? I'm leaving my office now, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Dick

Hello Dick, I received the email, but without photos. I have sent an email to you with my email address in the hopes that the photos might arrive via direct email.

Thanks for remembering!

Take care.

Frank Britton.

Although not on the Pentax web site, they have a cheaper camera adaptor for use with their Optio S line of digital cameras which aren't expensive.
Pentax PF-DS1 Digital Camera Adaptor #69561 available from opticsplanet.com and a number of other websites (no recommendation) for about US $130
(haven't tried it)
Here we see a number of birders getting excellent shots handholding digital point and shoots to scope eyepieces - diameters just have to match to center and not vignette.....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back