• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did You Know? (1 Viewer)

And most of you probably already do - but I wasn't aware that BirdForum member 'Gomphus' had more than the allotted strings to her bow!!
Just goes to show that every artist on Birdforum doesn't necessarily post in our little corner of the world.
Enjoy: http://www.freewebs.com/slthorpebirdart/

Well said, Tim. I know Steph (Gomphus) fairly well and have seen a bit of her work previously and I am always impressed with what she does.

Well said, Tim. I know Steph (Gomphus) fairly well and have seen a bit of her work previously and I am always impressed with what she does.

Same with me, in terms of seeing her work previously online, and being impressed. But I had no idea that she was a member of birdforum. Thanks for telling us!

Humm just got round to reading this thread about my own stuff!! Thanks to Tim for posting the links etc, and the nice comments everyone made!

thought I might add a couple of bits of work from the last couple of months, namely the American Black Tern and the bird of the moment, the Eastern Crowned Warbler.....

First up here's the ABTern.....

All the best

Steph'

Attachments

• ambt004.jpg
    ambt004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 78
  • ambt005.jpg
    ambt005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 79
Next up the ECW! A little B to sketch, always feeding in the Sycamores behind the leaves:-O Interesting bird, a mix of several other warblers in patterns and jizz.....

Attachments

• ECWarbler004_2.jpg
    ECWarbler004_2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
  • ECWarbler003.jpg
    ECWarbler003.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Finally just found this scan in the files, a finished piece of work, done for a wedding present.... a Polish and English match, so Aquatic Warbler seemed an apt choice!! Don't think the couple will mind me putting it up here!

Must try to get round to visiting this bit of the forum more regularly.... usually only visit the ID and Rare Birds sections:eek!:

Cheers

Steph'

Attachments

• Aquatic Warbler001.jpg
    Aquatic Warbler001.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 106
Lovely sketches Steph.....great stuff - especially excellent and painful is the warbler as I went on Sunday....

Ads

Amazing - just amazing!
I'll be back for more when I resurface t'other side of beddybyes.
Well I'm back from slumber-land (as opposed to ayone who made the ECW pilgrimmage to Sunderland) to the revelation that these drawings aren't only 'amazing' but truly instructive and enlightening. Oh so many times have I looked at my own fieldwork in the cold light and wished I'd spent more time really looking at all the nuances and variety of one species (or an individual in different lighting). In these four pages of fieldwork, I get the impression nothing's been left to chance; all possible avenues of exploration have been travelled and that I am looking at very individual birds, captured brilliantly and expertly by an artist of great accomplishment. A real pleasure and a thrill to view, Steph - please keep contributing down here in the basement whenever time from rarities allows ;) !

Beautiful, I so admire people that use watercolour to great effect. I have just spent a very happy time looking through the field sketches and galleries.
There is some very impressive work and some birds I have never seen. However, looking at the ones I do know, attention to detail is superb.
I love it and look forward to seeing more :)

amazing and beautiful skeching, everything so crisp and clean...hope you post some more in the future. what a treat!

everything an absolute delight - not being a twitcher (at least not in the UK) I don't share Ads' pain on the warbler - though these sketches really make me want to see one now! The eye for detail and accuracy detract in no way from the life of the bird. Superb stuff - now don't be a stranger here!

Totally echo Nick's sentiments, accurate description of the bird's physicality and the life in the bird in the same drawings. Wonderful work.

Mike

Totally echo Nick's sentiments, accurate description of the bird's physicality and the life in the bird in the same drawings. Wonderful work.

Mike

Fantastic fieldwork, both the Am. black Tern and the EC Warbler are truly nailed down in these sketches. As mentioned by Tim, your eye has taken in every feature and nuance of both birds from every angle, you might well be the person who took in more of both these indviduals than any other..
Tremendously executed drawings of two not easy subjects. Do keep posting please...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back