• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to DSLR cameras (1 Viewer)

Maris

I have not used an SLR camera for many years (long before digital). I recently lost my point & shoot & decided to replace it with an entry level DSLR. After doing a lot of on line research I decided to buy a Nikon 3300. It was within my budget & I think I got a fairly good deal. It came with a basic 18-55 lens. I enjoy taking photos & birds of course are one of my interests. My question is what other accessories I should buy and if I get one more lens (we are in Canada & traveling to the States soon where prices are better) what would be good for a beginner.

When it comes to buying lenses I recommend checking www.photoprice.ca.
For some time now Canadian Dealers are now more competitive with US prices than they have been in the past. As a result and with the current exchange rate buying cameras and lenses in the US isn't as much a money saver anymore as it was several years back. For a few things Canadian prices and warranties are even better that what the big US stores offer, not to mention the general cross-border warranty issue with some companies that are only accept claims when stuff was bought from one of their local distributors.
Other things (memory cards etc.) are bit less down South.

What lens to buy hinges on two questions: 1) Do you want primarily reach for birds/wildlife or just to extent your current lens reach (not hard to do with 55mm max)? 2) What's the budget?

If you don't want to spend more on the lens than the camera cost, I'd suggest you get the Nikon 55-300mm lens. That has enough reach for most wildlife/bird photography but can still be used for a lot of general photography.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking the 55-300mm. I guess it's probably my best bet to buy in Canada too. I'll research on the internet & there are local businesses that price match. Great forum. Looking forward to exploring more.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking the 55-300mm. I guess it's probably my best bet to buy in Canada too. I'll research on the internet & there are local businesses that price match. Great forum. Looking forward to exploring more.

One of the best value for money lenses,this was taken on the 55-300

Attachments

• DSC_2463.jpg
    DSC_2463.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back