• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angled or Straight/Digiscoping (2 Viewers)

miksis

Perhaps a really old question, but: I'm interested in upgrading my scope; leaning strongly toward Pentax 65. I've gotten good at finding and following birds with my straight. When I tried out an angled at the dealer's, I had trouble finding a stationary bird! If any of you have made such a switch, I'd appreciate your input. I plan to use the scope for both viewing and digiscoping. My camera is now a Sony DSC W50. Any advice regarding scope and/or digiscoping adapter would be appreciated.
Thanks, Miksis

I changed from straight to angled a few years ago. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to locate birds as well, but within a week I was getting on birds as quickly as I did with my straight scope. I find an angled scope much more comfortable than an straight scope and find it much easier for digiscoping.

That said, everyone is different so make sure you spend some time trying and angled scope before making the change...

I've moved from an angled to straight scope and wouldn't go back to angled. With the optical viewfinder on my Olympus 7070wz I can site straight down the scope and get on the bird fast. The problem these days for digiscopers is that most of the new cameras do not have a rotatable screen so for digiscoping at variable heights you would be better off with angled. The 65 mm scope is a bit limited for light gathering for digicams though. Neil.
ps I do 90% of my digiscoping sitting down.

You quickly get used to an angled scope and can find a bird just as quickly as with a straight scope, in my experience. An angled scope has the big advantage that you can share the view with others much more easily, regardless of their height. It even makes it easier for yourself, since you don't have to adjust the height of the tripod nearly as carefully.

The only trouble I very occasionally have is if you are behind an obstacle like a stone wall, with an angled scope it can be more difficult to see over it. But this doesn't happen very often, of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back