• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hinge end-cap on FL coming off (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Recently, the hinge end-cap, that little piece with the Z logo came off on my 8x42 FL. Fortunately, that was at home and I heard the sound as it hit the floor. I then noticed that this piece is only stuck into the ends of the hinge and barrel covers. So I wonder whether there is a reason for it to come off so easily. Is there a thread for a tripod attachment or so? Looking at it, I could not make up my mind. I am sure it does not really affect the functionality of the binoculars whether that cover is present or missing. But the prospect of missing parts (and be they ever so small) on such an expensive instrument is clearly leaving behind a "funny" feeling. Or should I say an uneasy feeling that something more important might come undone as well. Well, I have used a bit of glue to make sure it sticks well. But that is not the idea I have about how a top product should have to be dealt with. :h?:

Robert,

That should not have happened, coming off so easily. I can't imagine there's a thread for a tripod adaptor underneath this little cap, because Zeiss is advertising a ridiculously expensive and odd-looking bino adapter for use on a tripod. It looks like a black mushroom - what were they thinking designing this?
My 7x42 FL is still working flawlessly, so I guess I just wait for bits to fall off or things to go wrong - only time will tell.

Greetings, Ronald

Ronald,

it´s a pity that almost none of these high class binoculars have a 1/4" thread for standard L-tripod adapers. Every observation benefits from a tripod mounted binocular, even if you use an 8x. The only ones with a thread included are most of the Swarovski SLC binoculars, but not the ELs.

The Zeiss "Binofix" called tripod adapter is expensive, that´s true. But there´s something I like with this piece of kit. It´s the most universal tripod adapter for binoculars on the market I know. You can put every roof binoculars on it as well as many of the porro type.

Steve

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about about the ("Z") end cap trying to escape. It will probably stay on now, without issue, through the next four generations of Swissboy heirs (bino users).

As a result of your post, I now check mine regularly and so far it appears to be OK.

Speaking for myself and other FL owners, I'm somewhat curious about the design of the "backside"/interior of the end cap. In your recollection, did it appear to be an interference fit? Did it contain any remnants of glue? Did the cap have a slight shelf, ring or fingers that snap over the center shaft? I would appreciate a description of what you saw and your best guess as to how the manufacturer intended for the piece to be retained. I sincerely hope that Zeiss did not provide a simple push-on or "friction fit" arrangement on such a fine pair of binoculars. Famous last words... especially when the best automobiles on the planet contain friction fit inserts, covers and plugs in their instrument panels and doors*!?**? Oh well.

Have fun and enjoy the view.

Bill

Last edited:
Speaking for myself and other FL owners, I'm somewhat curious about the design of the "backside"/interior of the end cap. In your recollection, did it appear to be an interference fit? Did it contain any remnants of glue? Did the cap have a slight shelf, ring or fingers that snap over the center shaft? I would appreciate a description of what you saw and your best guess as to how the manufacturer intended for the piece to be retained. I sincerely hope that Zeiss did not provide a simple push-on or "friction fit" arrangement on such a fine pair of binoculars. ...

Bill

Not sure what you mean by interference fit. I assume some clamp or thread etc. I'd say it looked much like there was just friction fit. No traces of glue, I think. There is a thin plastic stick about 12 or so mm in length (judging from my recollection) with some profile, and there was a bit of something on it. But I think that was grease. At least that's what it looked and felt like. There is a very fine structure on the rim of that cap. It consists of two small protrusions about 1 mm apart. Looks like a clamp of sorts, but I found nothing where I thought it might attach to. So, as I said, it seems like just friction fit. Unless that attachment would have broken off, but why would it, as there was no force on the thing as far as I can tell. And no obvious indication of a broken piece either. You might check for yourself. If it is just friction fit, you ought to be able to simply pull straight on it (no twisting) and it should come off.

If it's just friction fit, it's probably to gain easy access for a screw inside to adjust the stiffness of the hinge mechanism? Just a thought, I'm not going to undo the cap to look inside.

Greetings, Ronald

Ronald,

it´s a pity that almost none of these high class binoculars have a 1/4" thread for standard L-tripod adapers. Every observation benefits from a tripod mounted binocular, even if you use an 8x. The only ones with a thread included are most of the Swarovski SLC binoculars, but not the ELs.

The Zeiss "Binofix" called tripod adapter is expensive, that´s true. But there´s something I like with this piece of kit. It´s the most universal tripod adapter for binoculars on the market I know. You can put every roof binoculars on it as well as many of the porro type.

Steve

Oh yeah, it's called a "Binofix" this tripod adaptor; I forgot to mention that, thanks. I understand from your words that you own one. Do you reckon it's sturdy enough to carry the tripod around with the bins fixed on it?

I nearly always take my Diascope with me; sometimes for prolonged viewing I put my bins on my scope. There's a knob on the scope to twist it sidewards on its length axis, so I usually turn it 90 degrees to the left or right to get an even platform to put my bins on. It's hardly necessary but it's a bit more comforting using both eyes for a while.

Greetings, Ronald

Oh yeah, it's called a "Binofix" this tripod adaptor; I forgot to mention that, thanks. I understand from your words that you own one. Do you reckon it's sturdy enough to carry the tripod around with the bins fixed on it?

I nearly always take my Diascope with me; sometimes for prolonged viewing I put my bins on my scope. There's a knob on the scope to twist it sidewards on its length axis, so I usually turn it 90 degrees to the left or right to get an even platform to put my bins on. It's hardly necessary but it's a bit more comforting using both eyes for a while.

Greetings, Ronald

That´s a good idea. I have to give it a try. I don´t own the Binofix by myself because I´d already bought the Leica tripod adapter some years ago. But I examined the Binofix several times. I think it´s sturdy enough if the rubber made strap set tight enough. The strap runs through a buckle that keeps it tight. The base of the adapter has a anti-slip coating.

Steve

Not sure what you mean by interference fit. I assume some clamp or thread etc. I'd say it looked much like there was just friction fit. No traces of glue, I think. There is a thin plastic stick about 12 or so mm in length (judging from my recollection) with some profile, and there was a bit of something on it. But I think that was grease. At least that's what it looked and felt like. There is a very fine structure on the rim of that cap. It consists of two small protrusions about 1 mm apart. Looks like a clamp of sorts, but I found nothing where I thought it might attach to. So, as I said, it seems like just friction fit. Unless that attachment would have broken off, but why would it, as there was no force on the thing as far as I can tell. And no obvious indication of a broken piece either. You might check for yourself. If it is just friction fit, you ought to be able to simply pull straight on it (no twisting) and it should come off.

Robert,

Hello and thanks for the description. I'm not prepared at this point to go beyond a small tug which the end cap resists well.

I will keep a "casual" check on it.

Bill

Last edited:
I will keep a "casual" check on it.

I hope that is not causing it to fall off. |;|
The reason for my remark is that I had given that end cap a casual look, or should I say I noticed in consciously just a few minutes before I heard the slight noise, and when I wondered what it was, it was that end cap on the floor. VERY strange, or at least a puzzling coincidence.

I've noticed the small blue Zeiss badge on the barrel coming off a pair that were in a shop cabinet. Not a big thing some might say ,but for me it's another point against Zeiss , I find the materials used in the optics coverings (plastics and rubber ),of the products to be awful.The optics of course are as good as the other top brands.
Tom.

I've noticed the small blue Zeiss badge on the barrel coming off a pair that were in a shop cabinet. Not a big thing some might say ,but for me it's another point against Zeiss , I find the materials used in the optics coverings (plastics and rubber ),of the products to be awful.The optics of course are as good as the other top brands.
Tom.

Please see page 5 of "The Open Letter to S.I. on this forum. Respectfully, I don't see that your generalizations have any technical or statisical validity. How many hundreds or thousands of badges and/or end caps are still in place on FL's and will be for 40 years. How many FL bodies and coverings have been compromised or determined to be flimsy? I don't know either but I am an engineer and a hard user of bins and I will tell you that in my opinion the FL appears to be one tough instrument.

The color in the Leica badge on my BN rubbed off within three years and in no way am I unhappy with the folks at Leica. Although I would prefer not to have any issues with my bins, I would rather use a dab of glue than a paintbrush, anytime.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just voicing my opinions.
I have no qualms about the optical qualities of the FL, it's just that i personally don't rate the coverings or the shape and feel.
I also found the zoom eyepiece of a scope i tried to seem cheaply made,again this is my personal opinion.
Cheers, Tom.

Hi all,
Just voicing my opinions.
I have no qualms about the optical qualities of the FL, it's just that i personally don't rate the coverings or the shape and feel.
I also found the zoom eyepiece of a scope i tried to seem cheaply made,again this is my personal opinion.
Cheers, Tom.
Don't know about Zeiss, but my Swarovski scope is exquisitely finished in every respect, including the eyepieces. I'd be surprised if Zeiss scopes aren't finished to a similar standard.

I just checked the end piece on my 10x42 FL, and all is rock solid for now. However, the objective lens rubber armouring is staying in place only as the consequence of a home repair glue job.

None of these things affect performance, of course, but that uneasy feeling which Robert / Switzerland spoke of is all too familiar. We want our optics to look as good as they perform, at least if we spend 1700.00 US or more on them. Guess that's why I favor my Leica Ultra and Duovids when all is said and done.

End cap coming off

Hi Robert,
this happened to me on a pair of 8x32FL's on holiday.Unfortunately I lost my cap.I took them into Zeiss in Welwyn Garden City and they fitted a new one free of charge.Their chief engineer told me to put a drop of locktite on the inside which should stop this happening again without preventing any future maintenance.It seems this can be knocked off under certain circumstances.

Regards Scott.

Hi Robert,
this happened to me on a pair of 8x32FL's on holiday.Unfortunately I lost my cap.I took them into Zeiss in Welwyn Garden City and they fitted a new one free of charge.Their chief engineer told me to put a drop of locktite on the inside which should stop this happening again without preventing any future maintenance.It seems this can be knocked off under certain circumstances.

Regards Scott.

Thanks, I used some glue. But I'm sure it could be removed one way or another for maintenance. Hope I don't need it, though.

Victory Were the Same

Just small aside, but I remember going to a store to test out the Zeiss Victory range, and the end cap came off during testing. The rubber seemed too thick and elastic and rolled off the metal in my hands. Maybe the FL is similar rubber to the Conquests I just purchased, whick also seems exceptionally thick and malleable. No probs on the conquests yet.....
cheers Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back