• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critique - red grouse (1 Viewer)

Nice picture. I like the composition & I think you’ve got the contrast about right. The most serious flaw, I think, is the pale border outlining the bird against the background (one admittedly labor-intensive way you could get rid of this is by touching up the outline with the clone stamp).

An excellent photo with beautiful lighting. The detail you h ave managed to capture is stunning too. I cant work out however if th e dried grass in the fg adds or detracts fromt he image. In many ways it works but sometimes i think first gut reactions are more important and my instinct tells me that it is too distracting though a good addition to what the habitat is like in a habitat type composition. I think if possible i would like to see a horizontal crop without the grass stems. I think alternative crops are always a great way to learn the effectiveness of composition

Fugl, thanks for the comments. I can't see the pale border you mention, on this or the original. Perhaps my aged eyes!

Psilo, thanks. Agree about the vegetation, I think it does detract. I'll try a horizontal crop to see the impact. I'm a bit concerned it would unbalance the composition though. Not sure I have the skills to clone it out either.

Phil

The thing that is a slight spolier for me on the image is the bright BG. I'd have tried to selectively darken the BG a bit. Not too much mind you as you can then get some of those annoying halos. I think I'd have also had a smidgen more room to the right of the bird.

A great shot. The only slight spoiler IMO is that some of the bird is in shadow - I might have moved around slightly (if possible) to get the light at a more co-operative angle.

I think it's a tad overexposed. Also if it were me, I would have done a landscape style crop instead of a portrait one.

The sun's not in the best position, so you're getting the contrasting highlights and shadows, but there's not much you can really do about this.

Overall though a very nice shot.

I can't see these outlines or halos at all on my screen, which is begginning to worry me a little. I've probably got lots of these halos in my shots and I don't know it!

Fugl, thanks for the comments. I can't see the pale border you mention, on this or the original. Perhaps my aged eyes!Phil

Well, maybe I’m a little over-sensitive to such things, though my eyes are pretty “aged” too. The “halo” is certainly not very pronouced & since nobody else appears to even see it my comment can probably be disregarded.

I think it's a tad overexposed. Also if it were me, I would have done a landscape style crop instead of a portrait one.

The sun's not in the best position, so you're getting the contrasting highlights and shadows, but there's not much you can really do about this.

Overall though a very nice shot.

I can't see these outlines or halos at all on my screen, which is begginning to worry me a little. I've probably got lots of these halos in my shots and I don't know it!

The original was landscape and I agree with the over exposure. Many thanks for the comments, all much appreciated.

Phil

Well, maybe I’m a little over-sensitive to such things, though my eyes are pretty “aged” too. The “halo” is certainly not very pronouced & since nobody else appears to even see it my comment can probably be disregarded.

I think the point of the thread is to make your comments so thank you, most certainly not to be disregarded.

Phil

Hello Phil,

In Photoshop CS3 there is a feature called 'Shadow/Highlight' under 'Image' - 'Adjustments'. It can be very effective in bringing out the hidden details from a too dark/too light image.

With your image (which had all the detail there) I was able to add some balance between the background and foreground exposure.

Regards

Attachments

• g_3-copy.jpg
    g_3-copy.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 72
  • g_2-copy.jpg
    g_2-copy.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hello Phil,

In Photoshop CS3 there is a feature called 'Shadow/Highlight' under 'Image' - 'Adjustments'. It can be very effective in bringing out the hidden details from a too dark/too light image.

With your image (which had all the detail there) I was able to add some balance between the background and foreground exposure.

Regards

Thanks for that, this is out of camera other than minor tweaking in Lightroom. Like the improvement, will load PS onto desktop and have a go with things.

Cheers

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back